The flawed beauty
By Shanuka Kadupitiyage
Ceylon Today Features
When the video game industry was hitting rock-bottom; a time where almost everyone believed video games were at death's door, the infamous movie director George Lucas decided to place himself in this industry.
The classic game now known as Grim Fandango is a result of his contribution to spark a dying industry at that time.
Many know George Lucas and consider him one of the greatest directors of all time. This is easily validated due to the fact that he is the man behind Star Wars; the most epic saga of movies that continue on even to this day. However, not many are aware of his contribution towards video games, especially the genre of adventure games.
When many had thrown away the concept of adventure games, LucasArts almost specialized in the field and made many advancements in the concept. All of this talent was pooled in during the creation of this game, which released during the year 1998 in 3D graphics: which was cutting-edge technology at the time.
The game received universal acclaim from critics, who praised its artistic design and use of noir themes and storytelling. Grim Fandango was selected for several gaming awards at the time of release, and is often mentioned as one of the greatest video games of all time. However, the game was a commercial failure and was one of the reasons why LucasArts stopped developing games, which ended up being a death sentence for the already dying adventure game genre.
The story is based on Mexican cultural themes about the afterlife, basing its world in the realm of the dead where souls must travel to the "Ninth Underworld" to reach their final destination. The concept behind its story is based on the fact that if people are flawed in life, then they are most certainly flawed in the afterlife.
In the game, players follow the character Manuel "Manny" Calavera; a travel agent working for a travel agency that facilitates deceased souls to travel to the Ninth Underworld in luxury. He attempts to save Mercedes "Meche" Colomar, a newly arrived but virtuous soul, who was swindled by the said agency he had worked for and assists her to complete her long journey to the Ninth Underworld.
The events follow in four acts, with each taking part one year at a time, with Manny coming across various situations as he uncovers the underlying sins of his former employment. The rest is a twisting journey filled with murder (even in the afterlife), greed and corruption. Grim Fandango's setting is explicitly noir with themes that emulate classic black-and-white detective stories and crime dramas. It is an atmospheric piece of work with a brilliantly crafted story to follow up with graphics that were at the time of release almost unheard of.
While being an iconic piece of work, the game still was a commercial failure and was a prime example of why adventure games were losing profitability. Even within the game there were errors in the mechanics with some sketchy puzzles.
Even so, there is beauty in Grim Fandango's flaws, making the game feel almost as if it were human. This can be considered true.
Like most people, it is a game that's hard to figure out at the beginning but starts and finally does grow into the player's hearts; making the moment of completing the game a bittersweet experience, almost as if a friend was saying goodbye.
The flawed beauty of Grim Fandango's world is almost tangible, a treat to explore (which all adventure games should be) and an experience that any die-hard gamer should never miss an opportunity to enjoy. This blast from the past is a treat everyone should try out.
Solution must be acceptable to Tamils Separate State is not a reasonable request - Former Army Commander, General Gerry De Silva RWP, VSV, USP
- UN damns Lanka 14,000 minors in childcare centres Calls for urgent reforms
- Russia restricts Lanka tea over beetle scare Top-level delegation off to Moscow
- Call to criminalize marital rape Justice Ministry seeks Cabinet approval
- Jumbo killings Armed protection unit to be set up Fines, jail terms to be increased
- Crossovers loom prior to polls
- SC issues notice on Elections Chief
- Jilted SLFP shuns JO forever
- CEB TU threatens strike Gives 18th as ultimatum
- Gnanasara Thera’s request for foreign travel denied
- Chinese envoy says OBOR will take Sino-Lanka ties to new level
- Police Chief in pre-poll warning Errant officers will be dealt with strictly
- Court extends Stay Order on Gota case
- Sriyani as State Minister of PCs and LG JO crossover pledged support for MS
- Rains to prevail Landslide warning to Galle, Kalutara to be reviewed
- BJP lauds ‘Ram Setu’ findings Hits out at critics
- Two held for impersonation at exam centre
- Female Genital Mutilation Advice sought from medical experts
- Hambantota Port to China India raises security concerns
- Indian Air Force Chief at passing out parade
- Statement from the Embassy of the State of Palestine
- LG Governance first to collapse in N&E
- Asgiriya Secy criticizes Govt
- Namal’s Hello Corp case on 13 December
- Attanayake’s foreign travel request Court to consider on 4 Dec
- Drugs & alcohol abuse in NE Religious reps to address issue
- Interesting battle at Havelock Park
- Thurstan win inaugural golf tourney
- History making Pulisic US men’s footballer of the year
- Knicks down Nets despite early exit for Porzingis
- 34th Mercantile Individual Tournament 2017 McLarens shuttlers Overall Champions
- Retired Hewitt takes tilt at Aussie Open doubles
- Lamborghini World Final 2017 Malagamuwa finishes third
- Committee clears Thilaka as SL coach
- Basnayake uncontested president at SLCF
- Premier League Club Cricket Primosh scores second ton
- Vinod and Taniya win Junior golf titles
- Taveesh wins two Gold medals
- Austin Waugh, in Australia's U-19
- CH come back to win
- Smith foils England again
- Emphatic win for CR
- No Malinga in T20 squad
- ‘Singer Trophy’ Under-19 Cricket Paceman Bandara steers Kingwood
- Federer voted BBC overseas sports personality of the year
- SLC looking to re-launch showpiece T20 league
- Astron wins again at SLIM NASCO 2017
- NDB brings Santa to the doorstep
- Com Bank opens branch No. 259 in Yatiyantota
- Amãna Takaful relocates Matale Branch
- Lotus Tyres rewards sales agents
- DFCC Bank sponsors 2017 Inter-School Golf Tournament
- Huawei announces Christmas promotion
- Elephant House recognized by Interbrand
- Singer (Sri Lanka) partners with Pan Asia Bank
- Disney deal suggests the Tax bill may mean little for the economy
- Commonwealth Bank admits failures in money laundering case
- Japanese business confidence hits 11-year high
- Eurozone economy to grow at faster rate, says Central Bank
- SEC to mandate dual roles for CEOs & Chairmen
- Alumex to commence EU & Aus exports
- Fiscal Policy Act remains toothless: Governor
- Samantha Rajapaksa gives up all AMW posts
- 'Publish excuses for corporate governance non-compliance'
- Jetwing Symphony IPO oversubscribed
- Shares recover from an 8-month low
- Christmas cheer is in the air!
- So, this is Christmas!
- A Time of Gifts Winding up
- Landmine deaths soar in 2016 With record number of child victims monitors
- Unravelling Nietzsche’s ‘death of God’ mystery
- Canada’s pivot to China hits a snag
- Brexit: The UK’s four options
- When the heart calls out, on a starry night
- On eve of climate summit Macron reminds Trump of ‘responsibility to history’
- FGM/FGC Victims speak out
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- All information security issues are not cyber crimes
- We want a change in Muslim representation– Hasen Ali
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Alleged human rights violations Lord Naseby defends Sri Lanka
- Neecha Dosha of planets and how it is cancelled Neechabhanga Rajayoga
- Vastu defects and bathrooms
- Are you endowed with Pancha Maha PurushaYoga?
- God Aiyanayake: Guardian Deity of Jungle and Village
- Good thoughts eliminate bad planetary influence
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Politics of nostalgia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Silvia Senanayake Dazzles at Mrs. Asia International
- Let’s Taco Colombo
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENNETTE MULLED WINE
- Hunger gnaws at Rohingya Children in camps
- Defeating IS Russia has ‘accomplished’ task
- Saudi Princess Ameera Aidan fights sex exploitation
- Hacking into the gate
- Review: A Bad Moms Christmas Relatable holiday humour
- A must watch superhero film!