Today (12) is International Youth Day Youth, Sri Lanka’s best hope for peace – UNDP Rep
According to the Sri Lanka National Human Development Report (NHDR 2014), 68.5% of youth surveyed believed in the right to be treated equally and without discrimination, a positive indication that youth see equality as key to social integration and their role in promoting it.
However, young people today face many challenges in education, employment, sexual and reproductive health and more, which seriously undermine their ability to reach their full potential , said UN Resident Coordinator and UNDP Resident Representative Ms. Una McCauley in her International Youth Day message.
Her message : In September of last year, I had the privilege of attending an event in Galle with the then UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, to meet over 100 young Sri Lankans actively engaged in peace-building work.
Skilled young men and women, their approaches to peace building were as varied as their backgrounds but every single one of them unified in their commitment and passion, actively contributing to a peaceful and unified Sri Lanka. These young people were born and lived their early lives during conflict, terror and displacement, yet their involvement in peace building, reconciliation and post-conflict transformation is playing a part in creating a better future for us all.
As the world celebrates International Youth Day this Saturday (12 August), the theme this year : "Youth building Peace" is especially relevant for Sri Lanka.
Just over a month ago, the UN Secretary General, António Guterres appointed one such champion, Sri Lanka's own Jayathma Wickramanayake, his global Envoy for Youth. Among her impressive list of achievements, Jayathma was most recently advocating for conflict prevention at the time of her appointment.
There are many Jayathmas in Sri Lanka, committed young men and women working tirelessly for the betterment of society.
Sri Lanka's youth has always been its greatest, yet most under estimated asset.
Only 8% of schools offer GCE A/L in Science, Arts and Commerce while 20% only offer Arts and Commerce (NHDR 2014). According to the Annual Labour Force Survey of 2015, youth (15-24 years) unemployment rate stands at 20.8%. This is alarming, considering that the overall unemployment rate stands at 4.7%.The National Youth Health Survey 2013 also found that 55% of respondents were not aware of reproductive health services in their region, while suicide is considered one of the leading causes of death among adolescents and youth in Sri Lanka.
There are over 4.4 million young people in Sri Lanka with diverse needs. Young people with disabilities, HIV+ youth, young LGBTI communities, rich and poor, in rural and urban areas.
Investing in each and everyone of these 4.4 million by creating inclusive access to quality education, knowledge and skills is key in ensuring meaningful employment and livelihoods which in turn will empower and enable more youth to join their peers in working towards a more just and equitable society.
But empowerment alone is not enough.
It is our responsibility as leaders to listen to the voices of youth, to ensure they are included in decisions that often affect them in ways that decision-makers seldom imagine.
Harnessing the potential of youth is essential to achieving sustainable peace. Inclusive participation of youth in decision-making processes at all levels of governance is essential to achieving sustainable peace. Applying the resourcefulness, openness and energy of Sri Lanka's multi-cultural youth is essential to achieving sustainable peace.
Youth is indefinitely Sri Lanka's best hope at achieving durable, lasting peace.
This is why, the UN Agencies in Sri Lanka are facilitating several engagements between young people and a multitude of stakeholders, including the government, civil society, private sector and development partners through the UN Peace Building Fund.
This International Youth Day, we celebrate the tremendous contributions young people make to their communities and the world to build peaceful societies.
Let us also not fail to recommit to work with, and for, the youth of Sri Lanka – the most valuable force we have to shape a better future for us all.
Demographics expert says No labour shortage in Sri Lanka Importing foreign workers will lead to tension
- Managing the US-Thailand Alliance in the Trump Era
- Don’t play games with youth
- Call to provide DF vehicles for migrant workers
- SAITM Controversy:BASL will inform GMOA on stance Dr. Aluthge
- Implementation of Research Programme SL and India sign 2nd PoC
- Pakistan’s Foreign Secretary to visit SL
- NBRO warns of floods if rains continue
- Veteran TULF politician Soosaithasan’s funeral today
- TNA seeks fiscal powers in new Constitution N&E PCs should be integrated - Sumanthiran
- New laws to curb poaching Rs 100m fine and no bail – Amaraweera
- TPA wants local polls delayed Seeks more PS Offices in N’Eliya
- New Constitution draws flak Country heading for Federalism – MR
- Namal, 7 others out on bail
- Treasury Bonds Probe PTL and EPF officials cost CBSL billions – Banking Expert
- Hotels face tough time Drop in tourist arrivals predicted
- Military Stalemate: How North Korea could win a war with the US
- What Is the Tatmadaw’s Plan for the Rohingya?
- Inadequate pay stunts female labour force
- Strike cost Railway Dept Rs 12 M
- Lanka paying back Mahinda’s debts Gift from the past regime -Ranil
- CEB subsidiary in illegal name change VAC to lodge complaint with CIABOC
- Two held at BIA with Wallapatta, phones
- Taiwanese investigators leave SL
- 100,000 persons put on landslide alert Red notice for Ratnapura and Galle DMC
- SAITM issue a ‘public headache’ -Prelates Want President, PM to provide solution
- Pakistan confident Sri Lanka will come
- Pakistan struggling
- Top seeds through to 2nd round
- Dialog Champions League Navy SC face Negombo SC today
- Cane inks long-term deal with All Blacks
- NZ Rugby to assist SL Rugby
- Singer Cup’ U-19 Schools Cricket 22 wickets fall in one day
- Hatton wins second straight title in Italy
- Indonesian goalkeeper dies after mid-game collision
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-13 Division I Schools Cricket Hasaranga shines with bat and ball
- Dressing up for Test cricket
- Sri Lanka ‘A’ Team win Zia-Ul-Haq Trophy
- De Kock, Amla trump Mushfiqur century
- 'It's war' - Warner driven by hatred for Ashes
- Rooney rides to Everton's rescue
- All Island Schools Games 2017 Twins Aruna and Pasindu shine for top awards
- Dovizioso wins Japan thriller
- Federer beats great rival Nadal to win Shanghai Masters
- Red Bull MotoGP™ Rookies Cup Jaden and Aaron invited to Spain
- Surarez saves Barca’s unbeaten record
- Grasping the term ‘Memorandum of Understanding’
- Ashok Leyland turnover up 49% to 7.2 B in 1H 2017
- ‘Spot’ Holds
- Spotlight : Sri Lanka’s Hotel Sector
- SLIDA wins Green Energy Champion 2017
- Nations Trust Bank launches Flexi Deposit Scheme
- BOC to reward foreign remittances
- Atlas Axillia wins big at 2017 NCQP Awards
- Emirates launches $15 M campaign to promote Dubai Set to iconic soundtrack by Queen, campaign features airline’s global network and onboard product
- DLB ‘Kotipathi Shanida’ produces another millionaire
- Brandix launches 2017 Blood Drive Marks 10th year as major corporate donor
- SHARP electronic products now exclusively from SINGER
- LAUGFS Gas celebrates two years in Bangladesh
- Asia markets close higher on China inflation data
- Fitch gives CEB top credit rating
- Singapore FTA talks commence
- New Inland Revenue Act not so friendly PwC
- Further liberalization needed for economic hub status German Ambassador highlights apparel as success story
- Ceylon Chamber appoints new Chief Economist
- Rupee makes pyrrhic gains
- A frightening future for Sri Lankans
- Government lethargy in protecting our forces
- Where is Sri Lanka heading?
- Securing Sri Lanka’s maritime boundaries:Russian Gepard 5.1 Class Frigates
- Sri Lanka and International Conventions - Part 1 Debasement of our legislative process
- Ahikuntika community of Sri Lanka Diminishing cultural traits
- Beware of drones!
- Anti-SAITM protests a political gimmick?
- Death of Subramaniam Haran ‘Police had no option’ Ticino police chief
- President jolts security detail Confronts Jaffna protesters
- Would like more Pradeshiya Sabhas for N’Eliya-Radhakrishnan
- Skills mismatch a massive economic cost Education system must be reformed
- Federalism is the antithesis of separatism Wiggy
- Kiriella has no right to ask me not to speak-Handunnetti
- We want China to be transparent in its intent– US Rear Admiral Don Gabrielson
- UNHRC Resolution 30/1 Implications for Sri Lanka (Part II) (Based on a presentation to the OPA)
- Electoral Reforms are for People’s Benefit
- Managing perception with international community
- An Aspirant to the Throne of Hearts-Virajini Thennekoon
- The latest addition to the Galle Hospitality industry
- Best Hikes in Sri Lanka
- What went wrong at the Apple Inc. iPhone X demo?
- NASA's spacecraft makes death plunge into Saturn
- Salient points of horoscope Assessment
- KARMIC CONNECTIONS IN THE BIRTH CHARTS 2
- Dream of travelling abroad?
- Mystery behind Osama bin Laden explained
- Three poses to relieve trauma
- Socio-economic developments from critical perspective
- KAZUO ISHIGURO – THE NEW NOBEL LAUREATE
- The Fairway Galle Literary Festival 2018 –Internationally acclaimed authors to take part
- Portrayal of country and nature
- Resonant Field Imaging - a Marvel in Technology
- Shankar’s International Children’s Competition 2018
- Hindustani Violin recital
- Classical rendering of a masterly-crafted musical
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Making plus-sized clothing trendy
- Pyjamas go viral as well - Sharmila Srikumar
- Giving back to Society
- Double treat at Pinnawala
- Mental illness a health issue Replacing stigma with compassion
- Studying to be ahead