The battle of the size
BY Natasha Siribaddana
The fashion industry is facing backlashes in a daily basis. First, the use of very unhealthily skinny models became a bad example for the future generations. Then recently the use of plus size models have been called off as glorifying obesity.
The extremely thin models are banned from some of the fashion runaways. The plus size models are not been used much in popular fashion shows either.
Some models starve to reach the requirement of the agent or the company. Honestly some models can be used as perfect examples to teach human anatomy. That much they are malnourished. Continuous starvation causes food disorders. Ultimately they cause damage to the whole body and get diagnosed for anorexia. Anorexia causes more severe complication like anemia etc.
Such companies should be banned for treating these models like objects. To recover from these disorders takes considerably a very long period.
Body shaming is a heated topic these days and many are bullied for being extremely thin or extremely obese. Even the most famous celebrities and public figures have experienced some level of body shaming.
Bulling starts at a very young age to some individuals and it physically and mentally scar them. But this should not mean that we or anyone have to accept their unhealthy body. This issue should be address by helping the people to become healthy. Parents should not advice the child to eat to be thin or fat; they should advice them to keep the body clean and healthy. There are food disorders that need medical attention.
A recent Sports Illustrated swimsuit catwalk show featured models of diverse body types, including plus-sized models. Some of the audience was moved to tears after seeing some of the models representing themselves. It was a touchy moment for everyone.
If these companies send very overweight or obese people down the catwalk modeling clothes, what it is saying, in a way, is that we are celebrating obesity. It is a dangerous health condition.
There should be a strict requirement in modeling agency not to in take any models underweight or overweight for the Body Mass Index (BMI). Modeling should not be used as a media to stop body shaming. It should be used as to spread healthy lifestyles for the young generations.
Modeling is a challenging field and these models work so hard to keep their beauty and confidence way up. Though modeling is seen as an easy job, it's actually really hectic. There is so much competition between these models to become perfect than the other.
Not everyone can be GiGi Hadid or Kendall Jenner; we don't even know whether they are underweight or not. Last year (2016), GiGi was called out by Tommy Hilfiger that she is not thin enough for the runway that's why she was covered with clothes to show less skin. After that statement she went on a diet to fit in to the runway. If GiGi was not thin enough, we should update of the definition of thin. To our eyes she was already thin enough to become a stunning healthy model.
The models who are working to Victoria secret should go on a strict diet and training months before the annual fashion show. The models work for these famous companies are trained so hard in the gym. But no one can believe these, judging from how thin they look. They have to work out number of hours per day and eat healthy as much as they can. They are constantly been monitored because these big companies have a responsibility to sell their products using these gorgeous models. If these models don't look very appealing and healthy it's a down fall to the company.
This only happens in considerably small amount in the fashion world. This system was initiated recently to check if the models fit in the runaway.
The use of plus size models as well as extremely skinny ones are now been labeled as spreading unhealthy trends to the world.
This is truly a huge change in the fashion industry. This message carries positivity towards children. The children who grow up wanting to be a model now knows that it's not how thin or chubby you look. To be a professional model the overall health also matters.
Proposed crippling countrywide strike TO SAVE ECONOMY, ASSETS, NATURAL RESOURCES– D.J. RAJAKARUNA
- Doha visa waiver for 80 countries Lankan job market under threat 2740
- AG warns against delaying Audit Bill Phobia on surcharge powers 2538
- Report on mayhem at FTZ President’s Office opts to remain silent 2603
- Market enjoys $ 88M NFIs 2545
- Political controversies laid to rest Stock Market makes gains 2549
- Implementation of sticker proposal on Liquor Delay costs Govt Rs 40B 2594
- CBK secretly invited Norway Only two people in Colombo knew when I first met Prabhakaran – Solheim 2561
- Harmony needed for religious freedom – Minister 2990
- CMC property taxes 2997
- Proposed tax on EPF, ETF ICEU seeks urgent meeting with Minister 3000
- Car plunges into river Two dead, three critically injured 3125
- Arson attack on schoolgirl’s house Minister promises new home 2995
- Australian gender advocate in Lanka Broderick to meet business, public leaders 2962
- Fire at Weligama textile store 2974
- Protest planned on Matale A9 Road Compensation demand for lost property 2966
- Rs 128,250,000 spent on survey Samurdhi union demands reimbursement 3060
- NEC to boost economy – President Shot in the arm for agriculture sector 2960
- Driver who killed 13 in Barcelona rampage Spanish police in manhunt 2943
- NLB, DLB back with Finance Ministry 2938
- Govt. has failed says Sampanthan Complains in letter to UNSG 2947
- New LG Draft Bill in Parliament on 24 August 2943
- Travis Sinniah appointed Navy Chief Holder of highest combat medal 3038
- Solution to ethnic issue New Constitution the only way – Mano 2941
- 18-year sentence sought for Lankan Convicted of human smuggling 2945
- SIS man on the mat Nabbed with gold at BIA 2946
- Mixed reaction to ‘bus priority lane’ 2009
- Why jo remained in CA 2063
- Bribery and corruption pervasive malaise in Sri Lanka 3267
- Schoolboy publisher Notching up half a century in business 2960
- Spirits Nether world inhabitants visiting us 2957
- Sri Lanka Vs India 1st ODI Sri Lanka out to change fortunes 1757
- Never Thought I’ll be SL captain – Tharanga 1798
- Anika clinches fifth tennis crown 1753
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-17 Division II Cricket St. Peter’s win by two wickets 1743
- X Pro Academic U-15 team here 1749
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-17 Division II Cricket St. Sebastian meet Thurstan’s in semis today 1747
- Cook and Anderson pile on agony for West Indies 1740
- All Blacks hit highs in 54-34 win over Wallabies 1746
- Sri Lanka lose opening match 1744
- Seven countries compete 2958
- The day JRJ survived an assassination attempt in Parliament Recollection of a miraculous survival! 1926
- People in a dilemma To feed or not to feed starving animals 1911
- Bid to save jumbos from extinction 1917
- Manhandling a lift operator Is the IGP above the Law? 1926
- Political commentary What’s next? Who’s next? 3833
- Students won’t give up till demands met – Lahiru 1590
- Referendum needed to postpone polls – Deshapriya 1656
- Proposed crippling countrywide strike TO SAVE ECONOMY, ASSETS, NATURAL RESOURCES– D.J. RAJAKARUNA 2821
- No taxes on EPF withdrawals– John Seneviratne 3442
- Zero support for Justice Minister within UNP – Ajith P. Perera 3496
- New programme to uplift SMEs soon 1524
- Govt urges CEB, ‘Obey Orders’ 1529
- Banks and insurance companies should collaborate 1528
- Duty waiver will hit BOP, drain forex – Senior Economist 1655
- Infosys CEO Vishal Sikka resigns 1530
- CBSL to resume talks with PayPal & Stripe 1658
- Pan Asian Power acquires Kotmale Oya Power Two 1518
- HNB records Rs 13.4 B in PBT 1516
- Visits to UK rise amid fall in pound 1519
- Mobitel unveils next tech revolution with ‘X Station’ 1533
- A time of gifts Staying on 1562
- Manuka honey:The superbug killer 2500
- A time of gifts Trying to settle down 2267
- Chithral releases his latest song 1567
- Florals: A Fashion Favourite 1562
- Be a lioness not a lamb 1050
- Places to visit in Kandy 1399
- Dhothalu Oya Sandaraja Forest amidst tea estates 1527
- prelate who promoted Buddhist studies in British era 1523
- Principles underlying planetary combinations Understanding and Interpreting their results 1523
- CAUSE OF DEATH- 2 1516
- How to identify 22nd Derkanadhipati 1514
- Shadow planets transit new Houses 1516
- Cinema of Attraction 1780
- The global and local in Hong Kong cinema 1842
- Pakistani Cinema Had Its Own Way of Looking at Partition Too 1529
- Locarno: Sri Lanka’s Sky Entertainers Presents Lineup at Open Doors Lab 1640
- Fitting Social critique 2097
- Collection of critical essays 1516
- Ven. Olande Anada Thero Encountering Buddhism 1512
- De Lanerolle brothers redefined SL music scene 1511
- Knowledge on the go 889
- Anxiety: the 21st century pandemic 1030
- Prawn farming – a delicious destruction 903
- When you hit rock bottom 918
- Electronic waste – a looming threat 890
- The humble roti revamped 893
- A knockout victory 888
- Sharing a bit of Italian history 898
- Magic pills and cute emojis 896
- A decade of victories 890
- Promising and creepy 891
- A choral treat 888