The battle of the size
BY Natasha Siribaddana
The fashion industry is facing backlashes in a daily basis. First, the use of very unhealthily skinny models became a bad example for the future generations. Then recently the use of plus size models have been called off as glorifying obesity.
The extremely thin models are banned from some of the fashion runaways. The plus size models are not been used much in popular fashion shows either.
Some models starve to reach the requirement of the agent or the company. Honestly some models can be used as perfect examples to teach human anatomy. That much they are malnourished. Continuous starvation causes food disorders. Ultimately they cause damage to the whole body and get diagnosed for anorexia. Anorexia causes more severe complication like anemia etc.
Such companies should be banned for treating these models like objects. To recover from these disorders takes considerably a very long period.
Body shaming is a heated topic these days and many are bullied for being extremely thin or extremely obese. Even the most famous celebrities and public figures have experienced some level of body shaming.
Bulling starts at a very young age to some individuals and it physically and mentally scar them. But this should not mean that we or anyone have to accept their unhealthy body. This issue should be address by helping the people to become healthy. Parents should not advice the child to eat to be thin or fat; they should advice them to keep the body clean and healthy. There are food disorders that need medical attention.
A recent Sports Illustrated swimsuit catwalk show featured models of diverse body types, including plus-sized models. Some of the audience was moved to tears after seeing some of the models representing themselves. It was a touchy moment for everyone.
If these companies send very overweight or obese people down the catwalk modeling clothes, what it is saying, in a way, is that we are celebrating obesity. It is a dangerous health condition.
There should be a strict requirement in modeling agency not to in take any models underweight or overweight for the Body Mass Index (BMI). Modeling should not be used as a media to stop body shaming. It should be used as to spread healthy lifestyles for the young generations.
Modeling is a challenging field and these models work so hard to keep their beauty and confidence way up. Though modeling is seen as an easy job, it's actually really hectic. There is so much competition between these models to become perfect than the other.
Not everyone can be GiGi Hadid or Kendall Jenner; we don't even know whether they are underweight or not. Last year (2016), GiGi was called out by Tommy Hilfiger that she is not thin enough for the runway that's why she was covered with clothes to show less skin. After that statement she went on a diet to fit in to the runway. If GiGi was not thin enough, we should update of the definition of thin. To our eyes she was already thin enough to become a stunning healthy model.
The models who are working to Victoria secret should go on a strict diet and training months before the annual fashion show. The models work for these famous companies are trained so hard in the gym. But no one can believe these, judging from how thin they look. They have to work out number of hours per day and eat healthy as much as they can. They are constantly been monitored because these big companies have a responsibility to sell their products using these gorgeous models. If these models don't look very appealing and healthy it's a down fall to the company.
This only happens in considerably small amount in the fashion world. This system was initiated recently to check if the models fit in the runaway.
The use of plus size models as well as extremely skinny ones are now been labeled as spreading unhealthy trends to the world.
This is truly a huge change in the fashion industry. This message carries positivity towards children. The children who grow up wanting to be a model now knows that it's not how thin or chubby you look. To be a professional model the overall health also matters.
Solution must be acceptable to Tamils Separate State is not a reasonable request - Former Army Commander, General Gerry De Silva RWP, VSV, USP
- UN damns Lanka 14,000 minors in childcare centres Calls for urgent reforms
- Russia restricts Lanka tea over beetle scare Top-level delegation off to Moscow
- Call to criminalize marital rape Justice Ministry seeks Cabinet approval
- Jumbo killings Armed protection unit to be set up Fines, jail terms to be increased
- Crossovers loom prior to polls
- SC issues notice on Elections Chief
- Jilted SLFP shuns JO forever
- CEB TU threatens strike Gives 18th as ultimatum
- Gnanasara Thera’s request for foreign travel denied
- Chinese envoy says OBOR will take Sino-Lanka ties to new level
- Police Chief in pre-poll warning Errant officers will be dealt with strictly
- Court extends Stay Order on Gota case
- Sriyani as State Minister of PCs and LG JO crossover pledged support for MS
- Rains to prevail Landslide warning to Galle, Kalutara to be reviewed
- BJP lauds ‘Ram Setu’ findings Hits out at critics
- Two held for impersonation at exam centre
- Female Genital Mutilation Advice sought from medical experts
- Hambantota Port to China India raises security concerns
- Indian Air Force Chief at passing out parade
- Statement from the Embassy of the State of Palestine
- LG Governance first to collapse in N&E
- Asgiriya Secy criticizes Govt
- Namal’s Hello Corp case on 13 December
- Attanayake’s foreign travel request Court to consider on 4 Dec
- Drugs & alcohol abuse in NE Religious reps to address issue
- Interesting battle at Havelock Park
- Thurstan win inaugural golf tourney
- History making Pulisic US men’s footballer of the year
- Knicks down Nets despite early exit for Porzingis
- 34th Mercantile Individual Tournament 2017 McLarens shuttlers Overall Champions
- Retired Hewitt takes tilt at Aussie Open doubles
- Lamborghini World Final 2017 Malagamuwa finishes third
- Committee clears Thilaka as SL coach
- Basnayake uncontested president at SLCF
- Premier League Club Cricket Primosh scores second ton
- Vinod and Taniya win Junior golf titles
- Taveesh wins two Gold medals
- Austin Waugh, in Australia's U-19
- CH come back to win
- Smith foils England again
- Emphatic win for CR
- No Malinga in T20 squad
- ‘Singer Trophy’ Under-19 Cricket Paceman Bandara steers Kingwood
- Federer voted BBC overseas sports personality of the year
- SLC looking to re-launch showpiece T20 league
- Astron wins again at SLIM NASCO 2017
- NDB brings Santa to the doorstep
- Com Bank opens branch No. 259 in Yatiyantota
- Amãna Takaful relocates Matale Branch
- Lotus Tyres rewards sales agents
- DFCC Bank sponsors 2017 Inter-School Golf Tournament
- Huawei announces Christmas promotion
- Elephant House recognized by Interbrand
- Singer (Sri Lanka) partners with Pan Asia Bank
- Disney deal suggests the Tax bill may mean little for the economy
- Commonwealth Bank admits failures in money laundering case
- Japanese business confidence hits 11-year high
- Eurozone economy to grow at faster rate, says Central Bank
- SEC to mandate dual roles for CEOs & Chairmen
- Alumex to commence EU & Aus exports
- Fiscal Policy Act remains toothless: Governor
- Samantha Rajapaksa gives up all AMW posts
- 'Publish excuses for corporate governance non-compliance'
- Jetwing Symphony IPO oversubscribed
- Shares recover from an 8-month low
- Christmas cheer is in the air!
- So, this is Christmas!
- A Time of Gifts Winding up
- Landmine deaths soar in 2016 With record number of child victims monitors
- Unravelling Nietzsche’s ‘death of God’ mystery
- Canada’s pivot to China hits a snag
- Brexit: The UK’s four options
- When the heart calls out, on a starry night
- On eve of climate summit Macron reminds Trump of ‘responsibility to history’
- FGM/FGC Victims speak out
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- All information security issues are not cyber crimes
- We want a change in Muslim representation– Hasen Ali
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Alleged human rights violations Lord Naseby defends Sri Lanka
- Neecha Dosha of planets and how it is cancelled Neechabhanga Rajayoga
- Vastu defects and bathrooms
- Are you endowed with Pancha Maha PurushaYoga?
- God Aiyanayake: Guardian Deity of Jungle and Village
- Good thoughts eliminate bad planetary influence
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Politics of nostalgia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Silvia Senanayake Dazzles at Mrs. Asia International
- Let’s Taco Colombo
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENNETTE MULLED WINE
- Hunger gnaws at Rohingya Children in camps
- Defeating IS Russia has ‘accomplished’ task
- Saudi Princess Ameera Aidan fights sex exploitation
- Hacking into the gate
- Review: A Bad Moms Christmas Relatable holiday humour
- A must watch superhero film!