Great betrayal by local quislings
By Shenali D. Waduge
None of the three colonial powers invaded our island, but it fell because of the betrayal of our own people. It happened in 1815 and it is happening again exactly 200 years later. In fact, the similarities and events as they are being rolled out are shocking.
D'Oyly was the mastermind behind the Kandyan Convention and had in his pocket Dissave Ehelepola and Dissave Molligoda. The modern day D'Oylys are many and constitute personages that have been interfering in the internal affairs of Sri Lanka from the West, India and the UN. D'Oyly resembles many Western/Indian envoys seen cutting deals with present day politicians / political parties showering them with promises and perks to get their allegiance to their agendas.
The European colonials had successfully created groups of brown sahibs who would at every turn betray their own land, thinking it a privilege to serve the white men! A good look at the detrimental agreements that have been signed since independence helps us to understand how far leaders can be bought over to betray the nation and the people. Bestowing of name titles created the first group of traitors and thereafter colonials began paying for telling tales and secretly carrying messages to the minorities. Notice how many known crooks are today bestowed with international rewards and titles!
The colonial invaders were quick to realize that Buddhism and the people's affinity to Buddhism was its key obstruction and they devised ways and means to destroy people's affinity to it and dilute the power of Buddhism yielded over people at all levels - religious, socially, culturally and even politically. Some of the harsh and destructive methods adopted during the colonial rule have been replaced with more subtle and camouflaged approaches – denying the use of elephants for peraheras claiming it to be based on animal rights (while not stopping animal sacrifice), denying the playing of pirith in temples, closure of temple tills (while not adopting same policy for other religions).
Incidentally in 1956 Buddharakkitha Thera bankrolled the S.W.R.D. Bandaranaike's campaign using the temple funds. Thus, we can now understand why the temple tills are now being sealed!
Moreover, from ancient times it has been the Sinhalese and the Buddhist clergy that have not only protected the nation but guided the rulers. These two pillars form the foundation of the strength of the ruler. During the colonial rule the practice of Buddhism was forbidden, Buddhist monks were killed or they had to go into hiding.
Arresting Buddhist monks
Today Buddhist monks are being arrested and treated like criminals (while not taking action against Church fathers who have been linked to terrorism), denying State funds to Pirivena education, attempting to turn pro-Buddhist national schools into multicultural schools, rewriting history and removing history from school textbooks while forcing Buddhist Dhamma Schools to adopt a shared values programmes removing students from knowing the essence of Buddhism (are all methods to incrementally disassociate State from protecting and fostering Buddhism as presently bound by the Constitution), encouraging perversion of Buddhist teachings so as to divert Buddhists into the wrong path of practice! Similarly, those that defended the nation were what we call the present day Army.
These men were hounded and killed for going against foreign rule. It is no different to the manner the West is hounding the Sri Lankan Army for defeating the LTTE which was a Trojan horse of the West and used politically to influence governments in power. Today security forces are being framed for war crimes while intelligence officers are being locked up under bogus charges sans evidence!
Sri Wickrama Rajasinghe
The deposed King Sri Wickrama Rajasinghe had a steadfast loyal following and these groups rebelled from time to time against the British. This is like the following of the former President who are watching in shock as the country falls apart knowing too well how regime changed States have ended up vassal States with no sovereignty. It is also true that the follies of the king and the former President also played a key role in distancing the people from both rulers and led them to fall prey to foreign conspired smear propagandas that deposed both ultimately.
It was in 1823 the British began selling Crown lands at two shillings an acre to British entrepreneurs and now under new business nomenclatures State lands and national assets are being siphoned off or privatized, all falling into foreign hands that will reap the profits while eternally burdening the general public with increased taxes that people cannot refuse to pay.
Immediately after coming to power, the government lifted the restrictions for foreigners to purchase property / condominiums and now many of the high rise apartments are being bought by foreigners many of whom are Maldivians, Arabs, Indians and Chinese. The International Labour Organization (ILO) is also now looking at how labour laws can be changed to suit transnational corporations all hoping to tap cheap labour, foreign labour (through the Economic and Technology Cooperation Agreement (ETCA) and make profits and drain the profits out of Sri Lanka without State interference or legal actions.
The present ethnic crisis came about after flooding the country with Indian slave labour and creating a group of privileged ethnic Tamils who have been used discretely to challenge the majority.
All that's left to see is the rebellions that took place in 1818 and 1822 to repeat and a genocide of the majority to take place under orders of the quislings. As we now revisit the past we wonder whether some of the insurrections in the 1970s and 1980s were also part of the endeavour to wipe out talented people and aspiring leaders and thereafter using terrorism again to wipe out another batch of future leaders who went to defend the nation by sacrificing their lives. Little by little as the patriotic few are being targeted, hounded and eliminated what will be left are the quislings, the sepoys and their treacherous following unless we all wake up and see the similarities and learn lessons from the past and not allow the treacherous history to repeat.
At every turn the treacheries that took place in 1815 are now being repeated with worse venom 200 years later. The DNA of the quislings are running through all those now calling the shots and turning our island into a neocolonial State where the sweat and blood sacrifices of those who fought to defend the nation have become compromised to result in the same treachery committed by the chieftains that handed over the nation to the British in 1815.
Solution must be acceptable to Tamils Separate State is not a reasonable request - Former Army Commander, General Gerry De Silva RWP, VSV, USP
- India joins Wassenaar Arrangement
- A story of two blockades New York City and Yemen
- Merkel’s Germany: Shaper or Taker of a United Europe?
- Wiggy request voters to elect honest politicians
- No Natural Disasters but man-made ones –Prof. Gomes
- Rejected nomination lists SLPP packed with incompetent people – Sagala
- ‘Samurdhi Shakthi’ to be launched To showcase Samurdhi families’ talents
- Chinese worker plunges to his death at Mahabage
- Garbage mounts at Gampaha Hospital Row over incinerator
- LG Elections JVP offers protection to ‘clean’ officials
- SLFP to launch manifesto this week
- President at SLMA
- Scuffle inside temple premises Chief Monk, two others injured
- Postal Unions threaten to Strike Demand for a ‘Closed Service’
- Russian ban on Lankan tea Govt ignored earlier warning - Udayanga
- Govt has no foreign policy - Namal
- CEB unions in strike threat Over simmering bonus issue
- Malaysian PM arrives
- Russian tea row President to contact Putin
- Beetle in Lankan tea shipment to Russia Exporter to be spared says Pethiyagoda
- Canadian Police probe ‘suspicious’ deaths of billionaire couple
- Stock Market Investor losses extend to Rs 94B
- Use of polythene in political rallies CEA to take on offenders
- Draft Legislation HRCSL advice not sought – UN Experts
- Drugs and drug users on the increase
- Sri Lanka dismissed for 215 in 3rd ODI
- Bowling in T10 can help T20 skills - Amir
- Dialog Champions League Java Lane beat Navy SC
- Army in nerve racking win
- Russia making progress over doping says Coe
- Australia close to Ashes glory
- County grind 'sucks pace' out of England quicks Finn
- Nidahas Trophy 2018 SL skipper formally invites India SLC
- One dead as fans clash after Algeria derby
- Real retains Club World Cup
- Ronaldo wants to retire at Real
- 31st NYSC-Rupavahini Volleyball Tournament CEB and SLAF win men’s/women’s titles
- City make it 16 in a row
- Dialog President’s Gold Cup Volleyball Championship finals commence today
- Premier League Inter Club Cricket Tournament High scoring draw at CCC
- Dhawan, spinners seal series for India
- Premier League – Tier ‘B’ Navy and Air Force win
- Visakhapatnam will favour the home team Batsmen to dominate decider
- Jadeja hits six sixes in an over
- Ntini’s son Thando in SA U-19 World Cup squad
- SLTB AND TEA CHAIRMEN ENDORSE NO PERIL, BUT AUCTION PRICES COULD DIP
- Commercial agriculture in Wet Zone will reap high rice yields CBSL Governor Dry Zone yields low, measures needed to arrest disturbing trend
- Treasury sells dollars to CBSL From H’tota Port proceeds
- Unions go back on their word - SriLankan Chairman
- Make up your minds – Harsha tells businessmen
- Recognition for SL power supplier
- Rupee down 2.54-2.61% YoY
- GDP rate shows positive trend
- Asian stocks come under pressure as dollar struggles
- Way forward for village power producers Team Up With Large Developers WB
- Workplace practices not fit for the New Year
- Brexit deal proves critics wrong - Theresa May
- WINNING GLOBAL CEO AWARD, MY SIGNATURE HONOUR Retired Kahawatte Plantations Plc Deputy Chairman and Watawala Plantations Plc Ceo, Dr. Daniel Vasanthakumar Seevaratnam reminisces
- IPM Sri Lanka crowned overall winner at NBEA 2017
- Desktop FriMi wins global Award
- CMA Sri Lanka graduation ceremony 2017
- LOLC Micro Credit felicitates Grade 5 scholarship high-flyers
- The Singing Christmas Tree comes alive once again at MLH
- Com Bank’s Vocational Training flagship CSR project
- Govt backtracks on anti-coal policy Two 600MW coal plants coming up
- Changing Political Horizons in Sri Lanka?
- Modi’s Gujarat:Installing a Rahul Gandhi Government
- Protect Wilpattu Movement set in motion 5K strong turnout march in peaceful protest to UN office & handover petition
- Concretes & Abstracts Faith, Wayside Shrines & Urban Sprawl
- TGTE using Lawyers to challenge SL’s 6th amendment
- Nat Assets during Prabhakaran’s and Ranil’s heydays
- Mexican drug wars:Women murders on the rise
- Ahead of the LG Polls Identifying 500,000 untagged Lankans!
- Indian movie moguls Avoiding the Weinstein effect
- New Land Draft BiLL Political wrangling hinders ironing out complex land issues
- Maithri should not sit in a Cabinet sans SLFPers
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- All information security issues are not cyber crimes
- Sirisena Presidency - A Parallax View As foretold by Sobhitha Hamuduruwo
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Kemadruma Yoga An evil yoga cancelling all other favourable yogas
- Sun into Sagittarius ‘Kona Month’ has just begun
- Inviting wrath of goddess Lakshmi
- Five Yoga Poses to Calm Your Mind
- Rahu in 7th House and marriage
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Politics of nostalgia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- I don’t get asked out
- Homemade apple & Chocolate Bodywash
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES Grinch Cupcakes
- New York Blast Terror charges filed against NY bomber
- Saga of Kohukumbure Rate Rala
- Attygalle murder and John Kotelawala Senior’s suicide