Why weren’t they summoned before PCoI? – Dr. Jayawardena
By Buddhika Samaraweera
Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) MP Dr. Kavinda Jayawardena yesterday (14) asked why the Presidential Commission of Inquiry (PCoI), probing the 2019 Easter Sunday terror attacks, did not summon the suspects who were recently charged by the US for those attacks, before the PCoI to testify.
“Not summoning them to testify before the PCoI is highly questionable,” Dr. Jayawardena said.
The suspects named Mohamed Naufar aka Naufer Moulavi who is believed to be the mastermind behind the bombings, Mohamed Anwar Mohamed Riskan and Ahamed Milhan Hayathu Mohamed, are currently in the custody of Sri Lankan authorities.
Although, he was not summoned before the PCoI, Naufer Moulavi gave a statement to the Police unit attached to the PCoI last year. The US Justice Department announced on 8 January three Sri Lankans were charged by a Federal Court in Los Angeles for conspiring to provide material support to ISIS who carried out the terror attack, killing 268 people including five US citizens, and injuring over 500 others.
Meanwhile, a spokesman for the PCoI said the Commission would submit its final report to the President before 31 January. He said members of the PCoI were currently working on the preparation of the report. However, Shani Abeysekera, the former Director of the CID, has not yet given evidence before the PCoI and will testify at a later date, he said. Abeysekera is currently receiving treatment being infected with the COVID-19 virus.
In addition to Abeysekera, several other important witnesses have not yet been called to testify before the PCoI.