Top Five Picks with Glamour
By Shafiya Nawzer
There’s something about neatly uniformed cuticles and immaculately glossy topcoats that simply can’t be replicated at home. A perfectly polished nail makes you feel instantly chicer, pulled together, and confident. Nikki Udawatte is a professional beauty and grooming expert with over 13 years of experience in the industry. She is the Founder of Quintessential Beauty Lounge and mom of a beautiful tenyear-old daughter.
Quintessential is Sri Lanka’s first hypoallergenic beauty lounge offering cutting-edge beauty, cosmetic, personal care, and timely treatments, plus the classics. Their specialty is sophisticated nail art. Care and condition take priority over gels and nail-art here, with hydrating treatments and high-quality polishes on the menu. You’ll often spot Nikki in white, she explained; “Love white shirts and everything white. I’d wear a white shirt with a skirt and stilettos for a classy and sophisticated look and also prefer a white shirt with ripped jeans and sneakers for an edgy, chic street style”.
We asked Nikki her top five do's and don'ts for healthy nails.
· Keep nails trimmed and shaped. Follow a shape that suits you. The best shape that suits your fingertips will always be the shape of your cuticle line.
· Keep cuticles moisturized. As we regularly need to sanitize and wash our hands with this current pandemic, our cuticles tend to get dry, crack causing damage to the nail bed.
· Take biotin, calcium, and zinc supplements if you have weak and brittling nails. Listen to your body. It’s giving you an indication of the nutrients you lack.
· Wear gloves when washing dishes and using household chemicals to clean. Hot water and detergents can be a damaging combination.
· Always opt for products/ services that will enhance the health of your natural nails. If you’re getting nail extensions done, please ensure the salon does a thorough consultation before ensure you understand everything about the procedure and outcome.
· Bite nails or pull off hangnails. This will damage the nail bed and also expose your nails to fungi and bacteria.
· Don’t over-cut the cuticles. Trim only excess part that has lifted after pushing back the cuticles.
· Don’t peel off your nail polish, gel colour, or any other product you have on your nails. Stick to the correct procedure of taking off the product.
· Never use tools that have not been properly sterilized or disinfected. If you’re getting your nails done by a salon, please check on their standards in hygiene.
· Don’t keep a nail polish or any other nail product on your nails for longer than it should be kept. Know when you should have them taken off and ensure you do it on time.