Sirisena seeks to squash case against him

By Hansi Nanayakkara | Published: 2:00 AM Dec 1 2021
News Sirisena seeks to squash case against him

By Hansi Nanayakkara 

Colombo Additional District Judge (ADJ) Chathurika Silva said that her decision concerning the motion filed by ex-President Maithripala Sirisena who had moved Court to issue an order for the quashing of all cases filed by 128 people including those that had suffered injuries due to the 2019 Easter Sunday terror attacks as well as those who had been rendered permanently disabled and by the aggrieved parties without taking them up for hearing, will be announced on 7 January next year. Faizer Mustapha (PC) appeared for Sirisena. He told Court that each of the cases had been filed sans any legal foundation or base and as per the Civil Ordinance Procedure. 

Mustapha mentioned that at the time of the filing of the cases his client was not President and observed that no case or cases could be filed under the proviso that details of the carnage had been known beforehand. 

He further informed Court that if such cases are to be filed, then such an undertaking ought to have taken place concerning several ex-Presidents as well as of other terror blasts that had taken place in the past. Shamil Perera (PC) instructed by lawyer Sandun Nagahawatta appeared for the aggrieved parties. Perera said that the request made on behalf of the former President cannot be accepted and is false as per the Civil Ordinance Procedure. 

He said that before submitting initial objections via a motion, the defence has to file its submissions to the case and urged Court to reject the request of the defence as it is contrary to law. Taking the submissions into consideration the AD Judge informed that her order on whether to quash the case or not will be delivered on the said date. The petitioners have named the former President, ex-PM Ranil Wickremasinghe, former Defence Secretary Hemasiri Fernando, ex-IGP Pujith Jayasundera, former head of SIS Nilantha Jayawardene and the AG as the respondents. 

They have urged the Court to issue an order for the respondents to pay them compensation above Rs. 10 million to the injuries suffered by them due to the dereliction of duty despite being forewarned of the blasts by the respondents paving the way for the Easter Sunday carnage to take place two years ago.

By Hansi Nanayakkara | Published: 2:00 AM Dec 1 2021

More News