Match fixing probe abandoned

By W.K. Prasad Manju | Published: 2:00 AM Jul 4 2020

By W.K. Prasad Manju

The probe conducted by the Special Investigation Unit (SIU) of the Ministry of Sports into match fixing allegations linked to the 2011 ICC World Cup Final, made by former Minister of Sports Mahindananda Aluthgamage has been concluded, said the Head of the Unit, Chief Inspector of Police Jagath Fonseka. He said officers attached to the Unit had decided to complete the probe and submit a report to the Secretary to the Ministry of Sports shortly.

Fonseka said as part of the probe they had recorded three statements from three former players, but noted that they had been insufficient to verify the 14 points that had been raised in the statement given to them by Aluthgamage, thus forcing them to abandon the inquiry.

He added though it had been mentioned that letters had been sent to the ICC in this regard, the sport’s world ruling body had to date not responded to those letters.

Fonseka noted that the three ex-players who had provided statements to them had given them clear reasons as to why certain players had been changed before the commencement of the ICC World Cup Final, nine years ago.

He opined that hence there was no purpose in further prolonging the probe into Aluthgamage’s allegation.

By W.K. Prasad Manju | Published: 2:00 AM Jul 4 2020

More News