Malaysia to impose third lockdown
Malaysia will be imposing a third nationwide movement control order (MCO) beginning on Wednesday (May 12) as the country grapples with a surge in coronavirus cases and highly infectious variants that the government said are testing its health system.
The decision was taken by the National Security Council - the decision-making body on the pandemic - during a meeting chaired by him on Monday, Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin stated.
This is the third major shutdown imposed since the onset of the pandemic in Malaysia, and will likely be the strictest since March last year, when much of the country’s economy was shuttered.
Accordingly, all inter-state and inter-district travel will be banned, along with social gatherings.
Furthermore, educational institutions will be shut down, however, economic sectors will be allowed to continue.
"Malaysia is facing a third wave of COVID-19 that could trigger a national crisis", Muhyiddin said in a statement, adding that the lockdown measures will continue till June 07.
The health authorities have witnessed a new surge of hospitalisations as new variants of the virus were reported in Malaysia. As at Monday, 434 patients were in intensive care units with more than half of them requiring breathing support.
On Sunday, Malaysia logged its highest death toll since the pandemic started, with 26 deaths.
The country recorded 3,807 new infections on Monday, bringing the cumulative total of cases to 444,484 cases, with 1,700 deaths.