Go Green Travel
By Ama H. Vanniarachchy
“When you go to say hello to nature, put every redundant sound away, for nature is music, and that alone should suffice.” - Michael Bassey Johnson, Song of a Nature Lover
Travelling is fun. It helps to enhance your mental and physical wellbeing. But, if you are not considerate about the environment while travelling, that makes you a bad traveller. And of course, a sore to the environment. Hence, being a responsible traveller with good travel practices is a must. Today, I will tell you how to adopt Green Travel practices and how to become conscious about environmental, social, and economic sustainability. Simply put, this is all about being an eco-friendly traveller or adopting a sustainable travel plan.
What is Green Travel?
It is important to be mindful when travelling as almost all of our actions directly impact the environment. This helps to minimise your carbon footprint. This is an effort to protect and preserve nature. There are many ways of green travel, such as ecotourism, sustainable travel, responsible travel, etc.; however, the core purpose of this is to pay attention to protecting the natural and cultural environment of travel destinations. It is no secret that travelling and tourism can harm the environment; hence it is vital to make the negative impact less as much as possible. In other words, green travelling means, paying attention to conserving the wildlife, plants, natural resources and protecting local cultural heritage, and at the same time, looking in ways how tourism can contribute towards the betterment of society.
The world is filled up with 9 billion metric tons of plastic and most of the plastic is dumped into the ocean. This means many sea creatures such as turtles end up consuming these thrashes. Isn't it heartbreaking?
This is the very reason that we must adopt an eco-friendly, green travel plan. This means we are responsible and conscious about Mother Nature.
We cannot shut down tourism entirely as it has many positive contributions to society. Hence, it is important to do it consciously and sustainably.
“Take action to cool your planet or the planet will take action and cool your life forever.”
Abhijit Naskar Why go green?
- Reduce your electricity bills
- Reduce your water bills
- Preserve the environment
- Make your home more durable
- Make you a smarter buyer.
- Improve Your Health; mental and physical
- Impact on your economy
- You can enjoy good clean air
- Reduces your carbon emissions
- Become self-sufficient
- Improves your productivity and stamina
- Reduce waste
- You set on a trend and encourage others
- You help preserve and protect Mother Nature
- You become a responsible citizen
How to become a Green Traveller?
- Walking whenever possible or cycling
- Use public transport
- Carry a reusable water bottle and avoid plastic bottles
- Try not to print or be paperless as much as possible
- Go for green hotels or eco-friendly places whenever possible
- Chose local products
- Travel light
- Avoid plastic bags
- Carry a reusable degradable bag for shopping
- When staying at hotels, always turn off lights and electrical equipment when not using
- When travelling in forest areas, always be mindful of the wildlife. Do not cause any harm to the plants and animals.
- Do not take away sediments or samples of natural elements when you travel.
- Respect the locals, their culture, and the natural environment
- Travel in small groups.
“Always respect Mother Nature. Especially when she weighs 400 pounds and is guarding her baby.”- James Rollins, Ice Hunt