Gas stove explodes in Kahatapitiya
By Chaminda Jayalath – Damunupola
A gas stove has exploded in a house at Talagollawatte, Kahatapitiya, Kegalle yesterday (28) morning.
The gas stove belonged to P.M.D. Seneviratne, a sub-teacher at Kegalu Vidyalaya. Seneviratne and his two children had been at home at the time of the incident. His wife was a nurse working at the Kegalle General Hospital and had been on duty at the time of the blast, according to Seneviratne.
He added that he had as usual put the kettle on the gas stove around 7:00 a.m. to make a cup of tea and had gone to the toilet. When he was in the toilet, he had heard the sound of an explosion coming from the kitchen.
When he went back to the kitchen, the glass-topped gas stove had exploded but a burner was still alight. He said he had then disconnected the gas regulator from the stove.
Seneviratne further said, “We heard of gas explosions from various areas during the past few days. Some people were injured too and a woman had died. As I see it there is no problem in the gas cylinders and the gas stoves. It is apparent that the standard of the gas has dropped. The Government should definitely be held responsible for this. They should inspect the composition of the gas in the cylinder.
“It was a good thing that I lit the stove and went to the toilet. Had I been near the stove I could have suffered injury. The glass covering the top of the stove had exploded and shards were all over the kitchen. An immediate investigation should be conducted into these explosions.”