Fmr IGP tells Easter Attacks PCoI: I had no way to ascertain important information
By Buddhika Samaraweera
Since former President Maithripala Sirisena prevented me from attending National Security Council (NSC) meetings, I, as the Inspector General of Police (IGP), had no way to ascertain important information with regard to my duties, former IGP Pujith Jayasundara, yesterday (23), informed the Presidential Commission of Inquiry probing the Easter Sunday Bombings.
He said he was informed not to take part in NSC meetings since October 2018, and that it led to serious issues and inconveniences for him as the IGP.
Adding that he knew that an NSC meeting was due to be held on 23 October 2018, Jayasundara said he was not informed of that session the day before or on the morning of that day. Since I did not receive a call informing of it, I called the then Defence Secretary, Kapila Waidyaratne PC, inquiring whether there was a meeting scheduled for that day. Waidyaratne said former President Sirisena had instructed him not to invite me, he added.
However, Jayasundara had been invited to the NSC meeting held on 3 November 2018, when former Defence Secretary Hemasiri Fernando was appointed, and on that day, Sirisena had asked Jayasundara to transfer former Inspector of Police (IP) of the CID, Nishantha Silva.
Members of the Commission questioned Jayasundara as to whether him not being invited to NSC meetings had an impact on national security. In response, Jayasundara said from that time on, he was not informed of anything discussed at the NSC, and the fact that another senior officer of the Police was invited to the NSC worried him.