Diyawadana’s remains repatriated to SL from Lahore

TPL | Published: 3:35 PM Dec 6 2021
Local Diyawadana’s remains repatriated to SL from Lahore

The human remains of Sri Lankan factory manager Priyantha Kumara Diyawadana were repatriated to Sri Lanka from Lahore's Allama Iqbal International Airport today (06).

He was tortured and burnt by a mob in Sialkot, Pakistan last week over blasphemy allegations.

His remains were brought to the airport in an ambulance where Punjab Minister for Minority Affairs Ejaz Alam Augustine received it and dispatched it via a Sri Lankan Airlines flight with state honours, reported.

Other officials present on the occasion included special representative to the prime minister on religious harmony Hafiz Mohammad Tahir Ashrafi, consul general of Sri Lanka Yasin Joya and representatives of the Punjab Home Department and Sri Lankan High Commission.

Speaking to reporters at the airport, Ashrafi said the whole nation would have to unite to eradicate extremism the way it had eliminated terrorism from the country.

"Today is a day of grief but we promise that the killers of Priyantha Kumara will be brought to justice," he said.

7 more prime suspects arrested

The Punjab police today announced the arrest of seven more of the prime suspects in the lynching of 49-year-old, taking the total number of arrests to 131.

Over the past three days, the police have arrested scores.

The suspects included the person involved in planning the attack as well as others who waged violence and incited others.

The police added that out of the 131 people arrested, 26 played a "central role" in the brutal killing.

These suspects will be presented in an anti-terrorism court today.

Meanwhile, Sri Lankan High Commissioner Vice Admiral Mohan Wijewickrama expressed satisfaction over Pakistani authorities' response to the killing.

He and said the incident would not affect friendly ties between the two countries.

Speaking to reporters, the envoy condemned the lynching, saying such incidents could not be tolerated.

But added that "we are very sure that the incident itself was not targeting our country, our religion or our race. It was an incident in isolation."

He said discussions were also underway with the Pakistani government as to how Diyawadana’s family could be compensated.

"We are very confident that this incident will be handled by the Government of Pakistan in a manner that justice will be given," he added.

TPL | Published: 3:35 PM Dec 6 2021

More News