CEBSEA accuses CEBEU of sabotage

By Thameenah Razeek | Published: 2:00 AM Dec 7 2021
News CEBSEA accuses CEBEU of sabotage

By Thameenah Razeek

The Ceylon Electricity Board Senior Engineers’ Association (CEBSEA) accused the Ceylon Electricity Board Engineers’ Union (CEBEU) of causing the islandwide blackout on 3 December, alleging that they did it deliberately to win their demands.  

CEBSEA also warned that a plot to depose CEB General Manager M.R. Ranatunga is being hatched with the help of a senior official from the Ministry of Power.

While claiming that the recent power outages were sabotages, CEBSEA spokesperson Engineer Nandika Pathirage said the frontline of the CEBEU should be held accountable for the ‘catastrophic’ incident that left the entire country in the dark, and that the top management of the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) and the Ministry of Power should immediately conduct an independent inquiry in this regard.

He also said that as Senior Engineers, they are well aware that a thorough investigation will undoubtedly reveal the ‘culprits’ including the team behind this sabotage and that the breakdown in the main transmission line and the power outages on the previous days were preconceived and preplanned.

He informed the Media yesterday (6) in Colombo that attempts were made to delete the relevant data as soon as the power was disrupted, raising suspicion that attempts had been made to conceal evidence. 

As a result, he claimed that CEBSEA had notified the Government and the Public Utilities Commission to conduct a prompt and fair investigation into recent Power outages. “The General Manager acted against the conspiracy to delete the real cause of the power outage, and there is another conspiracy to remove him and obstruct the investigation,” he said.


By Thameenah Razeek | Published: 2:00 AM Dec 7 2021

More News