Basil promises to be a father figure; says will have to take unpopular decisions too
Newly appointed Finance Minister Basil Rajapaksa promised to be a father figure to everybody and said is aware that he and his ministry will have to confront difficult times in the future.
"Like any father, I may have to take unpopular, unpleasant decisions in future,"he added.
He also stated that, with the support of all provincial council and local government representatives, he will lead the country to prosperity under the leadership of President Gotabaya Rajapaksa and Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa.
He made these remarks after assuming duties at the Finance Ministry this morning. He stated that the public’s needs are his and his ministry’s top concern and that they have a good concept on how to meet those demands and would make courageous decisions.
He, as the Finance Minister will have following departments, statutory institutions and public corporations under his purview.
- Treasury Affairs
- General Treasury
- Department of Fiscal Policy
- Department of National Budget
- Department of Management Services
- Department of External Resources
- Department of Public Finance
- Department of Treasury Operations
- Department of Public Accounts
- Department of Trade and Investment Policies
- Department of Information Technology Management
- Department of Legal Affairs
- Department of Management Auditing
- Department of Development Finance
- Government Revenue Management Affairs
- Department of Inland Revenue
- Sri Lanka Customs
- Department of Excise
- National Lotteries Board
- Development Lotteries Board
- Import and Export Control Department
- Bank Financial and Capital Market Policies and Regulatory Affairs
- Central Bank of Sri Lanka
- All State Banks, Financial, Insurance and their subsidiaries and related institutions
- Sri Lanka Insurance Board
- Sri Lanka Insurance Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliated companies
- Credit Information Bureau
- Department of Registrar Companies
- Security and Exchange Commission of Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Export Credit Insurance
- Provision of Funds
- Lady Lochore Fund
- Strike, Riot, Civil Commotion and Terrorism Fund
- National Insurance Trust Fund
- Employees’ Trust Fund
- Shrama Vasana Fund
- National Health Development Fund
- Kidney Fund
- Tea Shakthi Fund
- Kapruka Fund
The Ministry's responsibilities include macroeconomic policies, annual budgets and Appropriation Acts, public financial management, domestic and international savings and investments, public debts, banking, finance, and insurance activities, international financial cooperation, and directing social security and economic development activities.