SL factory manager tortured to death in Pakistan

TPL | Published: 2:57 PM Dec 3 2021
Local SL factory manager tortured to death in Pakistan

The Sri Lankan manager of a private factory in Sialkot, Pakistan has been tortured to death.

Identified as Priyantha Kumara, he was the general manager of Rajco Industries, mmnewstv reported.

This morning (03), a mob attacked him over alleged blasphemy before burning his body on Wazirabad Road.

A heavy contingent of police has been sent to the area to bring the situation under control.

According to sources, the mob was the workers of the private factory where Kumara was the manager.

Videos of the incident have been shared on social media which has outraged many people.

According to, videos and pictures shared on social media showed hundreds of men gathered around the burning corpse on Wazirabad Road. 

Several among the mob can be heard yelling slogans of the rightwing Tehreek-e-Labaik Pakistan, suggesting they believed the victim had been “punished” for allegedly insulting Islam’s Prophet. 

Tweet by Baltistan Times says, “The GM of Rajko Industries in Sialkot, who was a Sri Lankan, was killed and set on fire by the people of the factory. The G.M allegedly tore the poster of Holy Prophet (PBUH) and threw it in the trash”.

Local police were deployed to the scene as the crowds swelled, with a spokesman saying they had managed to disperse the mob after three hours of negotiations and brought the situation under control.

Punjab Chief Minister Usman Buzdar took notice of the murder, terming it as a “very tragic incident”.

Buzdar has summoned a report from the inspector general of police and ordered a high-level inquiry into the matter.

“Every aspect of the incident should be investigated and a report should be submitted. Action should be taken against those who take the law into their own hands,” he said.

A similar incident in Sialkot in 2010 had shaken the country when a mob had lynched two brothers in the presence of police, declaring them dacoits. 

The incident sparked shock and horror across the country as cellphone footage of the heinous murders was uploaded to video-sharing sites.

TPL | Published: 2:57 PM Dec 3 2021

More News