Sri Lanka should look differently in Pallekele
Sri Lanka's options going forward in the Test series versus India is about salvaging lost prestige and nothing else. With the series comprehensively lost, the plan of Sri Lanka should be to put up a better show. Honestly, having watched the Lankans closely, they aren't a side as bad as what the results reflect, or the disparity isn't as great as how it looks, purely from a results point of view.
Further, one shouldn't forget that this was almost the team that thrashed Australia three games to nil not so long ago.
Looking back at the second Test which was lost by an innings, Sri Lanka appeared to have depended too much on uncontrollable factors such as the toss and prepared a surface for such an eventuality. It's quite clear and plain had the toss been won, then the whole situation and possibly the result could have been vastly different, though in reality Sri Lanka is experiencing very little of that too.
My point is further emphasized by the fact that the first innings of India was accumulated in the relatively easy batting environment where the ball didn't spin or bounce with the pitch looking flat. Then on day two it started to misbehave and by the evening it was bad. I also felt that the Sri Lankan mindset wasn't great going in to bat for little over one hour with six hundred plus runs on the board. They were more inclined to survive than be natural, which played right into the hands of the visitors.
One has to commend the Lankan management for the bold step they took in using the heavy roller between innings on day four. It made the Indians take a step back, which suddenly made everyone watching wonder whether the surface had been changed.
Then early on day four it was evident the Indians struggled to dismiss not just the established Karunaratne but the night watchman Pushpakumara, who ended up playing a horrendous shot to be dismissed. For someone playing in his maiden Test match I felt he had a chance to be a hero, until stupidity stepped in.
Up to the point Mathews and Karunaratne's dismissals, Sri Lankan had a fighting chance in the match, not just to save it but possibly to challenge India, but again it comes back to the question of: Was the decision to prepare such a surface the right one? I am sure it will haunt the team for a long time as it badly backfired on them.
Stemming from the SSC and Galle games the hosts should look to play differently and that is to firstly prepare good surfaces backing the batting and creating the right bowling balance. With such a plan even a defeat could be tolerated if competition is visible. Hoping by the time this column is read signs of such a situation would have emerged.
Solution must be acceptable to Tamils Separate State is not a reasonable request - Former Army Commander, General Gerry De Silva RWP, VSV, USP
- India joins Wassenaar Arrangement
- A story of two blockades New York City and Yemen
- Merkel’s Germany: Shaper or Taker of a United Europe?
- Wiggy request voters to elect honest politicians
- No Natural Disasters but man-made ones –Prof. Gomes
- Rejected nomination lists SLPP packed with incompetent people – Sagala
- ‘Samurdhi Shakthi’ to be launched To showcase Samurdhi families’ talents
- Chinese worker plunges to his death at Mahabage
- Garbage mounts at Gampaha Hospital Row over incinerator
- LG Elections JVP offers protection to ‘clean’ officials
- SLFP to launch manifesto this week
- President at SLMA
- Scuffle inside temple premises Chief Monk, two others injured
- Postal Unions threaten to Strike Demand for a ‘Closed Service’
- Russian ban on Lankan tea Govt ignored earlier warning - Udayanga
- Govt has no foreign policy - Namal
- CEB unions in strike threat Over simmering bonus issue
- Malaysian PM arrives
- Russian tea row President to contact Putin
- Beetle in Lankan tea shipment to Russia Exporter to be spared says Pethiyagoda
- Sri Lanka dismissed for 215 in 3rd ODI
- Bowling in T10 can help T20 skills - Amir
- Dialog Champions League Java Lane beat Navy SC
- Army in nerve racking win
- Russia making progress over doping says Coe
- Australia close to Ashes glory
- County grind 'sucks pace' out of England quicks Finn
- Nidahas Trophy 2018 SL skipper formally invites India SLC
- One dead as fans clash after Algeria derby
- Real retains Club World Cup
- SLTB AND TEA CHAIRMEN ENDORSE NO PERIL, BUT AUCTION PRICES COULD DIP
- Commercial agriculture in Wet Zone will reap high rice yields CBSL Governor Dry Zone yields low, measures needed to arrest disturbing trend
- Treasury sells dollars to CBSL From H’tota Port proceeds
- Unions go back on their word - SriLankan Chairman
- Make up your minds – Harsha tells businessmen
- Recognition for SL power supplier
- Rupee down 2.54-2.61% YoY
- GDP rate shows positive trend
- Asian stocks come under pressure as dollar struggles
- Way forward for village power producers Team Up With Large Developers WB
- Changing Political Horizons in Sri Lanka?
- Modi’s Gujarat:Installing a Rahul Gandhi Government
- Protect Wilpattu Movement set in motion 5K strong turnout march in peaceful protest to UN office & handover petition
- Concretes & Abstracts Faith, Wayside Shrines & Urban Sprawl
- TGTE using Lawyers to challenge SL’s 6th amendment
- Nat Assets during Prabhakaran’s and Ranil’s heydays
- Mexican drug wars:Women murders on the rise
- Ahead of the LG Polls Identifying 500,000 untagged Lankans!
- Indian movie moguls Avoiding the Weinstein effect
- New Land Draft BiLL Political wrangling hinders ironing out complex land issues
- Maithri should not sit in a Cabinet sans SLFPers
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- All information security issues are not cyber crimes
- Sirisena Presidency - A Parallax View As foretold by Sobhitha Hamuduruwo
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Millennials and Marriages
- Abu Dhabi to acquire ‘Salvator Mundi’
- MacOs High Sierra security fix
- Are Lemurs Going Extinct?
- An Echo of Womanhood
- Kemadruma Yoga An evil yoga cancelling all other favourable yogas
- Sun into Sagittarius ‘Kona Month’ has just begun
- Inviting wrath of goddess Lakshmi
- Five Yoga Poses to Calm Your Mind
- Rahu in 7th House and marriage
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- I don’t get asked out
- Homemade apple & Chocolate Bodywash
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES Grinch Cupcakes
- New York Blast Terror charges filed against NY bomber
- Saga of Kohukumbure Rate Rala
- Attygalle murder and John Kotelawala Senior’s suicide