Meteorologists’ forecasts ignored
"A man's value becomes apparent based on the decisions he makes during a crisis"
– Andrew Carnegie
While the entire country was tangled in a crisis, it was possible to see persons with overflowing humanity. At the same time the disease of delaying making decisions and judgments was also apparent in some places.
Not only during the disaster of the floods but during all events due to the severely punishing decisions of nature (except for the Salawa explosion) it was the tri-forces which protected the government and saved face for them. It was the same, this time too.
"When people are faced with disaster you can measure their extent" - Ho Chi Minh
During all of these disasters it was possible to see the extent of loving people whose hearts melt. Similarly it was possible to see within this country, while people in the country were victims of an extremely horrendous disaster, how some dastardly politicians, being greedy for political power, to fulfil their political requirements, to establish their power even through the disaster of floods, fought and struggled and carried out political atrocities amidst the floods, in a disgusting manner.
The flood and landslide disasters did not affect only members of the UNP. Neither, were they only SLFP members, nor JVPers nor Communist or Sama Samaja party members. Also it did not affect only Tamil and Muslim people who were loyal to other political parties.
It was the people living in Sri Lanka who were affected. Here, there were no party, race or nationality differences. However, the blatantly unprincipled politicians who engaged in shameless politics in the flood waters, among the hills which had experienced landslides leading to the collapse of houses should feel utterly ashamed of themselves. Certain narrow-minded power-hungry politicians made extremely naive, wretched statements. One robed person renowned to be learned had said that this massive disaster took place because the heroes of this country are being called thieves. How low a mentality can it be?
In the month of May in the year 2016, the people of our country faced disaster due to heavy rains. Meteorologists with international knowledge had pointed out and predicted that during the monsoon rains in 2016 as well as in 2017, accidents and disasters as well as earth slips could take place. This warning had been issued several months ago.
Dr. Roxy Mathew Koll
It was reported in the media that, Dr. Roxy Mathew Koll, Meteorologist of the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology had made this forecast in the 'Roar' website of 13 February 2017.
Dr. Koll had stated that due to the increase in global warming causing an increase in the temperature of the Indian Ocean, there could be enormous change in the pattern of monsoonal rains in tropical countries. Based on these circumstances, the media reported that Dr. Koll had said, Sri Lanka will have to face a lengthy drought and short-term heavy rains which would cause immense disasters.
It is quite clear that responsible officials of the Ministry of Disaster Management in Sri Lanka and Ministers had not taken into consideration or taken much notice of the predictions and forecasts of such international level scientists.
The Minister who did not consider the predictions which Meteorologists had made that the disasters that occurred in 2016 will be repeated during the same period of time in 2017, was in Mexico when the disaster hit. The Minister had gone to attend the international conference, Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction, 2017.
There were media reports that the Minister had stated at this conference that the Sri Lankan Ministry of Disaster Management was pre-prepared to face any type of emergency disaster that takes place in Sri Lanka.
However, it did not take long, after the Minister's speech for the world to get to know that the pre-preparedness of the Ministry was nothing but false.
There is a Chinese saying, "If the future is not considered the present will be sorrowful". What happens in the country and will happen is the reality of this saying.
Martin Luther King had stated, "Racism is being blood-thirsty". The meaning of this statement was confirmed by the 'Naanasaaras' of the 'Abasaranang' Sect, and certain activities of their attempts at making this country a pool of blood were swept away in the currents of the floods. Even then those sinful activities could once again raise their heads. The projects will be prepared by these persons who stormed into the Homagama Courts in order to bring to the fore their sinful intentions, while giving the face of political extremism as well as a racist face to the floods and the landslides, and behaving in an improper manner which landed them in remand but were subsequently released on bail.
Citizens of Sri Lanka
Nature does not discriminate between races. There are no religious differences either. It was the citizens of Sri Lanka who suffered due to flood waters, landslides and drought.
As a responsible government it should ensure that these members of the group led by 'Asaaranaana' which is trying to put a face of racism on the disasters that the people have had to suffer, which nature doles out sans any discrimination of race, caste, religion and so on, do not spread out across the country. It is curious why the government is maintaining a deafening silence without listening to the challenging statements which could set the entire country aflame in a few minutes.
It is no secret that the government and the government Ministry of Disaster Management have failed to supply the relief people expected when they were rendered destitute through droughts, floods, disasters, falling trees, landslides at garbage dumps, explosions and so on.
Setting aside the welfare of the people, at least these people should consider their future political protection and think about safeguarding it and bring about a change in this sluggish, pattern of administration. If not what will happen is that room will be created in the minds of the people for the dishonest wishes of the power-hungry, the extremists and racists. It would be very damaging to the Maithri-Ranil government.
"The government should be fearless. At the same time thoughtful. That is everybody's opinion. However it never happens". Not confirming this statement made by John Gardner can ensure victory for the Maithri – Ranil government. If not, what will happen is extremists, power-hungry individuals and racists will become stronger.
The government should succeed in realizing that it is extremely damaging to them, to their political future, to the country and the citizens of the country and act accordingly. If not it will turn out to be unsuccessful and will fail.
Proposed crippling countrywide strike TO SAVE ECONOMY, ASSETS, NATURAL RESOURCES– D.J. RAJAKARUNA
- Doha visa waiver for 80 countries Lankan job market under threat 2734
- AG warns against delaying Audit Bill Phobia on surcharge powers 2538
- Report on mayhem at FTZ President’s Office opts to remain silent 2597
- Market enjoys $ 88M NFIs 2545
- Political controversies laid to rest Stock Market makes gains 2549
- Implementation of sticker proposal on Liquor Delay costs Govt Rs 40B 2592
- CBK secretly invited Norway Only two people in Colombo knew when I first met Prabhakaran – Solheim 2561
- Harmony needed for religious freedom – Minister 2990
- CMC property taxes 2996
- Proposed tax on EPF, ETF ICEU seeks urgent meeting with Minister 3000
- Car plunges into river Two dead, three critically injured 3125
- Arson attack on schoolgirl’s house Minister promises new home 2995
- Australian gender advocate in Lanka Broderick to meet business, public leaders 2962
- Fire at Weligama textile store 2974
- Protest planned on Matale A9 Road Compensation demand for lost property 2966
- Rs 128,250,000 spent on survey Samurdhi union demands reimbursement 3059
- NEC to boost economy – President Shot in the arm for agriculture sector 2960
- Driver who killed 13 in Barcelona rampage Spanish police in manhunt 2943
- NLB, DLB back with Finance Ministry 2938
- Govt. has failed says Sampanthan Complains in letter to UNSG 2947
- Mixed reaction to ‘bus priority lane’ 2009
- Why jo remained in CA 2062
- Bribery and corruption pervasive malaise in Sri Lanka 3267
- Schoolboy publisher Notching up half a century in business 2960
- Spirits Nether world inhabitants visiting us 2957
- Sri Lanka Vs India 1st ODI Sri Lanka out to change fortunes 1757
- Never Thought I’ll be SL captain – Tharanga 1797
- Anika clinches fifth tennis crown 1753
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-17 Division II Cricket St. Peter’s win by two wickets 1743
- X Pro Academic U-15 team here 1749
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-17 Division II Cricket St. Sebastian meet Thurstan’s in semis today 1747
- Cook and Anderson pile on agony for West Indies 1740
- All Blacks hit highs in 54-34 win over Wallabies 1746
- Sri Lanka lose opening match 1744
- Seven countries compete 2958
- The day JRJ survived an assassination attempt in Parliament Recollection of a miraculous survival! 1926
- People in a dilemma To feed or not to feed starving animals 1911
- Bid to save jumbos from extinction 1917
- Manhandling a lift operator Is the IGP above the Law? 1925
- Political commentary What’s next? Who’s next? 3833
- Students won’t give up till demands met – Lahiru 1589
- Referendum needed to postpone polls – Deshapriya 1655
- Proposed crippling countrywide strike TO SAVE ECONOMY, ASSETS, NATURAL RESOURCES– D.J. RAJAKARUNA 2821
- No taxes on EPF withdrawals– John Seneviratne 3442
- Zero support for Justice Minister within UNP – Ajith P. Perera 3495
- New programme to uplift SMEs soon 1524
- Govt urges CEB, ‘Obey Orders’ 1529
- Banks and insurance companies should collaborate 1528
- Duty waiver will hit BOP, drain forex – Senior Economist 1654
- Infosys CEO Vishal Sikka resigns 1530
- CBSL to resume talks with PayPal & Stripe 1657
- Pan Asian Power acquires Kotmale Oya Power Two 1518
- HNB records Rs 13.4 B in PBT 1516
- Visits to UK rise amid fall in pound 1519
- Mobitel unveils next tech revolution with ‘X Station’ 1533
- A time of gifts Staying on 1562
- Manuka honey:The superbug killer 2500
- A time of gifts Trying to settle down 2267
- Chithral releases his latest song 1567
- Florals: A Fashion Favourite 1562
- Be a lioness not a lamb 1050
- Places to visit in Kandy 1399
- Dhothalu Oya Sandaraja Forest amidst tea estates 1527
- prelate who promoted Buddhist studies in British era 1523
- Principles underlying planetary combinations Understanding and Interpreting their results 1522
- CAUSE OF DEATH- 2 1516
- How to identify 22nd Derkanadhipati 1514
- Shadow planets transit new Houses 1516
- Cinema of Attraction 1780
- The global and local in Hong Kong cinema 1842
- Pakistani Cinema Had Its Own Way of Looking at Partition Too 1529
- Locarno: Sri Lanka’s Sky Entertainers Presents Lineup at Open Doors Lab 1640
- Fitting Social critique 2097
- Collection of critical essays 1516
- Knowledge on the go 889
- Anxiety: the 21st century pandemic 1029
- Prawn farming – a delicious destruction 903
- When you hit rock bottom 917
- Electronic waste – a looming threat 890
- The humble roti revamped 893