With the term of the Presidential Commission on the alleged Treasury (T) Bonds scam covering the first 14 full months of the Yahapalana Government, from January 2015 to March 2016, ending by the month end, only a fortnight away, Premier Ranil Wickremesinghe has indicated that he's willing to give evidence before the Commission (See this newspaper's yesterday's edition).
Columns News - EDITORIAL
President Maithripala Sirisena's visit to Jaffna was significant in several ways as he made a daredevil approach when he came across people there agitating over the issues of involuntary disappearances and Tamil prisoners held under the PTA.
After many years the capital of the Northern Province witnessed a hartal against the Government.
UN Fund For Population Activities (UNFPA) now renamed UN Population Fund, said the elderly or those who are above 60 years of age who may even be referred to as the aged, will outnumber the country's working population in another 20 years' time.(See also Ceylon Today Saturday, 7 October)
The Cabinet of Ministers on Tuesday finally approved the much delayed Draft National Audit Bill.
We Sri Lankans accept their fate, with some resignation, when the government service does not function properly or our politicians exhibit all aspects of incompetence and corruption.
US Rear Admiral Don Gabrielson, Commander Logistics Group Western Pacific and Task Force 73, who is now in Sri Lanka for the Galle Dialogue, speaking to Ceylon Today on Monday, said that Sri Lanka should be thoughtful when making deals with China because it tends not to be always transparent in its intentions.
Sri Lanka Navy's proud brainchild, the Galle Dialogue - the seventh International Maritime Conference since 2010, commenced with grand proceedings, yesterday. With the sole purpose of providing a common platform to all stake holders of national and international repute to discuss and deliberate maritime related issues, the Galle Dialogue seeks to enhance cooperation of maritime security and sharing of knowledge and information amongst the stakeholder countries.
Sri Lanka considering the threat posed by the Democratic Peoples' Republic of Korea (DPRK) to peace and security internationally has adopted the UN's Security Council resolution prohibiting Sri Lankans engaging in any form of activities with the DPRK.
One-time guerrilla, ground-breaking journalist and iconoclast extraordinaire Victor Ivan is today a sad man.
We have in a number of editorials been keeping the Sri Lankan sports loving public informed about the numerous problems that have been regularly affecting sports in the country. It is of utmost importance that sports administration be placed in the hands of persons, who love the given discipline and have gained experience through participation at least at school level.
It was revealed at Wednesday's Presidential Commission inquiring into the alleged Treasury (T) Bond scandals that took place during the tenure of the current Government, that on the eve of two T Bond auctions held on 29 March and 31 March, 2016, the heads of three State banks, namely the Bank of Ceylon, People's Bank and National Savings Bank, had been instructed by the then Finance Minister, the controversial Ravi Karunanayake, now demoted to the ranks of an ordinary MP because of these alleged scandals, to make 'low' bids.
Asian Development Bank (ADB), a multilateral donor agency, in a report released recently, said that the Colombo Port was the natural transshipment hub port for the South Asian region.
Ven. Akmeemana Dayarathana Thera was arrested by the Colombo Crimes Division (CCD) on Monday over last week's incident where a group led by monks protested opposite, and later raided, a safe house for Rohingya refugees under UNHCR protection.
Like every other major scale refugee crisis Myanmar's Rohingya issue has spilled over borders into neighbouring States and even exposed the refugees to the harsh violence of the Indian Ocean. While there are no bounds to human compassion and charity, there is always the opposite side that is rarely addressed; the darker side of human nature that abhors differences. This capacity for violence and hatred knows not the geographical boundaries or hypothetical lines drawn on maps that define nations - it is innate.
Sri Lanka is now in crisis with nature and our own experts have cautioned about the rapidly dwindling green cover in the country due to excessive deforestation.
International Monetary Fund (IMF) has suspended the release of its fourth tranche of SDR 119.894 million (US$ 163.49 million) of its three year SDR 1.1 billion ($ 1.5 billion) extended fund facility (EFF) with the Government of Sri Lanka (GoSL) signed up in June of last year.
History was created on 21 November 2014, when the then SLFP General Secretary and Health Minister of the Mahinda Rajapaksa Government, crossed over to contest as the common opposition candidate to take on the might of Rajapaksa at the 8 January 2015 Presidential Election.
Yesterday on the remote island of Pungudutivu, the residents celebrated, they lit crackers and cooked milk rice.
Tens of thousands of Sri Lankans are refugees who have been accepted by welcoming, sympathetic communities across the world.
Government is thinking of passing an Ease of Doing Business Act (EDBA), similar to that of Thailand's.
The news that the International Cricket Council has begun an investigation into allegations of corruption in Sri Lankan Cricket is shocking.
A humanitarian catastrophe has been unfolding along the borders of Bangladesh and Myanmar since 2015. More than 370,000 Rohingya have fled a violent military clampdown in Myanmar, and are crowded in desperate conditions in Chittagong, Bangladesh.
Defence Secretary, Kapila Waidyaratne, categorically denying any possibility of the LTTE raising its head again, has clearly stated that Security Forces personnel accused of crimes will have to face the law of the land.
Local government in the South Asian region has a long history.
Sports lovers always crave to see their favourites, whether they be individuals or teams, perform well. A sport can only draw a large spectator turnout if the fans feel they will be provided with their money's worth.
"In foreign affairs, we [USA] are renewing this founding principle of sovereignty. Our government's first duty is to its people; to our citizens, to serve their needs, to ensure their safety, to preserve their rights and to defend their values. As President of the United States, I will always put America first. Just like you, as the leaders of your countries, will always and should always put your countries first."
Addressing the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) yesterday, President Maithripala Sirisena requested the members of the organization to give Sri Lanka the necessary time to achieve lasting peace, democracy and reconciliation. Pointing out that Sri Lanka has indeed made serious progress in the last two years regarding reconciliation, restoration of democratic freedoms, human rights and rule of law, the President said that the country was making steady progress.
Considering the increased cost of healthcare, where, despite free health services, a sizeable number of Sri Lankans patronize fee levying hospitals, whether they be run by the Government, such as a previous fee levying private hospital in Colombo now in the hands of the State due to the spinoff effects of a Court Order made a few years ago, or, ipso facto by the private sector, there, therefore is a need to introduce a universal health insurance scheme to mitigate such costs.
Last week saw the launch of '12.11.10 Welikada', an investigative work compiled by journalist Kasun Pussella on the 'alleged' Welikada prison massacre of 2012.
- Managing the US-Thailand Alliance in the Trump Era
- Don’t play games with youth
- Call to provide DF vehicles for migrant workers
- SAITM Controversy:BASL will inform GMOA on stance Dr. Aluthge
- Implementation of Research Programme SL and India sign 2nd PoC
- Pakistan’s Foreign Secretary to visit SL
- NBRO warns of floods if rains continue
- Veteran TULF politician Soosaithasan’s funeral today
- TNA seeks fiscal powers in new Constitution N&E PCs should be integrated - Sumanthiran
- New laws to curb poaching Rs 100m fine and no bail – Amaraweera
- TPA wants local polls delayed Seeks more PS Offices in N’Eliya
- New Constitution draws flak Country heading for Federalism – MR
- Namal, 7 others out on bail
- Treasury Bonds Probe PTL and EPF officials cost CBSL billions – Banking Expert
- Hotels face tough time Drop in tourist arrivals predicted
- Military Stalemate: How North Korea could win a war with the US
- What Is the Tatmadaw’s Plan for the Rohingya?
- Inadequate pay stunts female labour force
- Strike cost Railway Dept Rs 12 M
- Lanka paying back Mahinda’s debts Gift from the past regime -Ranil
- CEB subsidiary in illegal name change VAC to lodge complaint with CIABOC
- Two held at BIA with Wallapatta, phones
- Taiwanese investigators leave SL
- 100,000 persons put on landslide alert Red notice for Ratnapura and Galle DMC
- SAITM issue a ‘public headache’ -Prelates Want President, PM to provide solution
- Pakistan confident Sri Lanka will come
- Pakistan struggling
- Top seeds through to 2nd round
- Dialog Champions League Navy SC face Negombo SC today
- Cane inks long-term deal with All Blacks
- NZ Rugby to assist SL Rugby
- Singer Cup’ U-19 Schools Cricket 22 wickets fall in one day
- Hatton wins second straight title in Italy
- Indonesian goalkeeper dies after mid-game collision
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-13 Division I Schools Cricket Hasaranga shines with bat and ball
- Grasping the term ‘Memorandum of Understanding’
- Ashok Leyland turnover up 49% to 7.2 B in 1H 2017
- ‘Spot’ Holds
- Spotlight : Sri Lanka’s Hotel Sector
- SLIDA wins Green Energy Champion 2017
- Nations Trust Bank launches Flexi Deposit Scheme
- BOC to reward foreign remittances
- Atlas Axillia wins big at 2017 NCQP Awards
- Emirates launches $15 M campaign to promote Dubai Set to iconic soundtrack by Queen, campaign features airline’s global network and onboard product
- DLB ‘Kotipathi Shanida’ produces another millionaire
- A frightening future for Sri Lankans
- Government lethargy in protecting our forces
- Where is Sri Lanka heading?
- Securing Sri Lanka’s maritime boundaries:Russian Gepard 5.1 Class Frigates
- Sri Lanka and International Conventions - Part 1 Debasement of our legislative process
- A Rice Revolution - Part II Labour Companies for Cost Efficiency
- Ahikuntika community of Sri Lanka Diminishing cultural traits
- Beware of drones!
- Anti-SAITM protests a political gimmick?
- Death of Subramaniam Haran ‘Police had no option’ Ticino police chief
- President jolts security detail Confronts Jaffna protesters
- Winter of discontent for tourism
- Would like more Pradeshiya Sabhas for N’Eliya-Radhakrishnan
- Skills mismatch a massive economic cost Education system must be reformed
- Federalism is the antithesis of separatism Wiggy
- Kiriella has no right to ask me not to speak-Handunnetti
- We want China to be transparent in its intent– US Rear Admiral Don Gabrielson
- UNHRC Resolution 30/1 Implications for Sri Lanka (Part II) (Based on a presentation to the OPA)
- Electoral Reforms are for People’s Benefit
- Managing perception with international community
- An Aspirant to the Throne of Hearts-Virajini Thennekoon
- The latest addition to the Galle Hospitality industry
- Best Hikes in Sri Lanka
- What went wrong at the Apple Inc. iPhone X demo?
- NASA's spacecraft makes death plunge into Saturn
- Salient points of horoscope Assessment
- KARMIC CONNECTIONS IN THE BIRTH CHARTS 2
- Dream of travelling abroad?
- Mystery behind Osama bin Laden explained
- Three poses to relieve trauma
- Socio-economic developments from critical perspective
- KAZUO ISHIGURO – THE NEW NOBEL LAUREATE
- The Fairway Galle Literary Festival 2018 –Internationally acclaimed authors to take part
- Portrayal of country and nature
- Resonant Field Imaging - a Marvel in Technology
- Shankar’s International Children’s Competition 2018
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Making plus-sized clothing trendy
- Pyjamas go viral as well - Sharmila Srikumar
- Giving back to Society
- Double treat at Pinnawala
- Mental illness a health issue Replacing stigma with compassion
- Studying to be ahead