Microsoft is testing out its new Skype mobile interface in a desktop preview of the company's communication app. The new radical Skype mobile design debuted back in June, and the reception hasn't been positive. Despite that, Microsoft wants to try out a new design on the desktop side. "It's not yet complete and we need your feedback," says a Skype spokesperson.
Latest News - Sci / Tech
Instagram is rolling out a new feature today on its iOS and Android apps that'll clear up DM confusion. Users could already reply to photos, videos, and reshared posts sent to their DMs with their own photo or video, but now, a sticker of whatever they're responding to will automatically show up in their reply.
Twitter Inc on Wednesday suspended accounts linked to the neo-Nazi website Daily Stormer, keeping up pressure from Silicon Valley on white supremacists after weekend violence in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Samsung is believed to be hard at work on its next-generation wearable device, dubbed the Gear Fit2 Pro. While some reports have said the Gear Fit2 Pro will be a slightly more polished version of the Gear Fit2, other scattered reports suggest the wearable will be an all-new device. Ahead of the August 23 launch, reputable leakster Evan Blass via VentureBeat has revealed even more details about the upcoming wearable.
Plans to build the world's "largest" data centre are being made public.
Facebook is making a big effort to boost its video presence with the launch of Watch, a new subsection of the social media giant's feature lineup meant to serve as a destination for original episodic shows. Facebook is introducing Watch to a limited number of people in the U.S., and the company hasn't specified when it will roll out more broadly.
Google is cutting the price of its Pixel smartphone just as the company may be preparing to launch a new model.
A Google employee who wrote a controversial memo about workplace diversity has been fired, the BBC can confirm.
The controversial memo broke the firm's code of conduct, Google's chief executive Sundar Pichai said on Monday in an email to employees.
A boom in incinerator-building could make it impossible for the UK to meet future targets for recycling, a report says.
Apple is working on an Apple Watch that does not need to be paired to an iPhone, according to a report.
The Super NES Classic will finally be available to preorder in late August, says Nintendo. The company posted as much on its official Facebook page in a clarifying dispatch that should ease worries about system availability in the lead up to the $79.99 micro-console's September 29 launch.
In the crazy high-end PC gaming graphics card market, you have two choices: AMD or Nvidia. Nvidia presently commands the performance roost with cards at the tip-top of its GeForce 10 series. AMD has trailed its rival at this level for years, opting to instead do battle in the market's budget and mainstream tiers. That's about to change, with the advent of AMD's Radeon RX Vega series.
Nintendo just unveiled the release date for Monster Hunter Stories, a spinoff of publisher Capcom's critter-stalking franchise for the Nintendo 3DS. U.S. owners can buy it for $39.99 on September 8. You can find those details and more in a new trailer for the game.
A split in the Bitcoin community is set to create a new incompatible version of the cryptocurrency on Tuesday.
The creators of several Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) have criticised Apple's decision to remove their products from its App Store in China.
A team of astronomers has potentially discovered the first known moon beyond the Solar System.
Adobe is finally killing off its Flash plugin, the company announced in a blog post on Tuesday.
Microsoft is preparing to kill off Paint.
As malicious hackers mount ever more sophisticated attacks, China is about to launch a new, "unhackable" communications network - at least in the sense that any attack on it would be quickly detected.
China's government has announced a goal of becoming a global leader in artificial intelligence in just over a decade, putting political muscle behind growing investment by Chinese companies in developing self-driving cars and other advances.
Two of the largest dark web marketplaces have been shut down following a "landmark" international law enforcement investigation.
The AlphaBay and Hansa sites had been associated with the trade in illicit items such as drugs, weapons, malware and stolen data.
I really don't know how many Android fans who've bought into Google's ecosystem would favor CarPlay over Android Auto, but maybe Apple's in-car software is your only choice. If that's your situation, you can at least now stream from the Google Play Music iPhone app using Apple's finger-friendly in-car software, as reported by 9to5Mac. The CarPlay version of Play Music is divided into four sections: Home, Recents, Music Library, and Stations. Home is where you'll find recommendations — both based off your listening habits and other influencing factors like the time of day, your mood, or location.
Samsung may be preparing to unveil its sequel to the ill-fated Galaxy Note 7. The South Korean electronics giant just sent out invitations for its next Unpacked event, which will take place in New York on August 23.
Samsung traditionally uses these events to make big announcements around new products, especially those in its Galaxy smartphone line. The company has been known to debut new Note phones around the August and September time frame in years past.
Apple has revealed the new emoji that are coming in the next update. But if you're squeamish, look away now.
YouTube has stopped working for some users.
Scientists have created a low-cost smart glove that can wirelessly translate sign language into text and control objects in virtual reality games. The device, called "The Language of Glove," was built for less than USD 100 using stretchable and printable electronics that are inexpensive, commercially available and easy to assemble.
Facebook's Oculus Rift provides one of the most immersive virtual reality experiences currently possible, but its appeal can be hampered by a cumbersome setup process, high price tag, and complex system requirements. The social media giant hopes to address those concerns with a forthcoming $200 wireless headset that will be lighter than Samsung's Gear VR model, according to a new report from Bloomberg.
Worried your body odour is out of control but suspect your colleagues are too polite to say anything about it? Now there's an app for that, too.
A Japanese tech company has begun selling a device that allows people to self-test their sweaty exteriors for three categories of smell.
The pocket-sized detector, which looks like a tape recorder, connects by Bluetooth to a smartphone app that divulges the potentially ominous results in a suitably discreet manner.
Microsoft has announced end of support for Windows Phone 8.1, and this is literally pulling the plug on the Windows Phone platform. Though phones running the platform will not be bricked, users should not expect any future updates. Microsoft, which has clearly lost interest in the smartphone business over the past few quarters, is yet to announce its plans for Windows 10 Mobile.
Nokia says it is "regrettable" that problems with its Health Mate fitness-tracking app have frustrated users.
Nokia took over health tech firm Withings in 2016 and recently replaced the Withings Health Mate app with a Nokia-branded version.
Health Mate has been downloaded more than one million times from app stores.
Scientists have designed a new nano-material that can reflect or transmit light on demand and may be applied on spacesuits to protect astronauts from harmful cosmic radiation. The material is so thin that hundreds of layers can fit on the tip of a needle and can be applied to any surface, researchers said.
Samsung is releasing a new phone using parts from its Galaxy Note 7, which was axed after a battery fault led to some devices catching fire.
The firm said the Note Fan Edition would "minimise the environmental impact" of its high-profile flop.
The Raspberry Pi has won the UK's top engineering award.
The team behind the device was awarded the Royal Academy of Engineering's MacRobert Prize at a ceremony in London last night.
The tiny computer launched in 2012. Its designers hoped to introduce children to coding and had modest ambitions.
A new Europe-wide wifi service for aeroplanes came a step closer on Wednesday night with the launch of a key satellite from French Guiana.
Super Mario World, Starfox and Yoshi's Island are set to be re-released later this year as part of a new classic SNES console.
The original Super Nintendo Entertainment System, launched in 1990, sold 50 million units worldwide.
Mr Kalanick will remain on the board of the firm, however, the New York Times reported.
His resignation comes after a review of practices at the firm and scandals including complaints of sexual harassment.
Microsoft has upgraded its "Modern Keyboard" with one big highlighted feature – a fingerprint scanner. The successor to the Surface keyboard looks identical in design, but comes with an integrated fingerprint reader that lets users to unlock their Windows machine by pressing the key right to be space bar using Windows Hello.
Microsoft unveiled a radical redesign for Skype earlier this month, with a new look that has Snapchat-like features. While the company has overhauled its Skype apps, there's also a new Skype logo that ditches the fluffy cloud aspects of the past. Brand New has a closer look at the new logo, and a comparison to the old one that everyone knows.
Sony has teased a string of new games for its PSVR virtual reality headset hardware prior to the E3 video games show in Los Angeles.
Microsoft has unveiled the latest games console in its line-up, a more powerful version of the Xbox One called the Xbox One X.
The tech giant touted the machine's specs, including its ability to run games in 4K ultra-HD, ahead of the E3 games show in Los Angeles.
Sony has sold more than one million virtual reality (VR) headsets, the company has said.
President of Sony Interactive Entertainment Atsushi Morita said sales had "exceeded our expectations".
Weeding the garden is possibly one of the least enjoyable tasks for keen gardeners, which is why a robot has been developed to take care of the hard work.
Apple has announced a voice-activated loudspeaker powered by its virtual assistant Siri.
There wouldn't be a lot of advantages to being a member of the Hyalinobatrachium yaku species. You'd be a frog for one thing. You'd be just 0.8 in. (2 cm) long too, meaning you'd be prey for, well, just about anything that lives with you in the Ecuadorean Amazon.
But if it was any consolation, you could at least be sure you'd be unlikely ever to need an MRI, X-ray or CT scan again.
NASA made an announcement, about its first mission to enter directly into the sun's atmosphere, at an event at University of Chicago's William Eckhardt Research Centre on Wednesday.
Elgato's new Eve Degree device will monitor both indoor and outdoor temperatures between zero degrees to 130 degrees Fahrenheit, as well as humidity levels throughout your home. And the best part is that it runs off a replaceable coin cell battery that'll last up to a year.
Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg has returned to Harvard University under rainy skies to give a graduation speech and receive an honorary degree.
Microsoft has launched a "faster, more powerful" Surface Pro tablet, with a battery life of 13.5 hours.
Amazon has announced it will offer live television channels via its Prime Video service, for an extra fee.
People will be able to subscribe to popular channels such as Discovery and Eurosport individually, without paying for a bundle of channels.
Scientists have decoded the genome of a snail involved in the spread of a deadly parasitic disease.
They say the information will help in the fight against schistosomiasis, an infection caused by a parasitic worm that lives in streams and ponds.
- Doha visa waiver for 80 countries Lankan job market under threat 2723
- AG warns against delaying Audit Bill Phobia on surcharge powers 2536
- Report on mayhem at FTZ President’s Office opts to remain silent 2594
- Market enjoys $ 88M NFIs 2544
- Political controversies laid to rest Stock Market makes gains 2548
- Implementation of sticker proposal on Liquor Delay costs Govt Rs 40B 2591
- CBK secretly invited Norway Only two people in Colombo knew when I first met Prabhakaran – Solheim 2559
- Harmony needed for religious freedom – Minister 2989
- CMC property taxes 2996
- Proposed tax on EPF, ETF ICEU seeks urgent meeting with Minister 2999
- Car plunges into river Two dead, three critically injured 3125
- Arson attack on schoolgirl’s house Minister promises new home 2995
- Australian gender advocate in Lanka Broderick to meet business, public leaders 2962
- Fire at Weligama textile store 2974
- Protest planned on Matale A9 Road Compensation demand for lost property 2966
- Rs 128,250,000 spent on survey Samurdhi union demands reimbursement 3059
- NEC to boost economy – President Shot in the arm for agriculture sector 2960
- Driver who killed 13 in Barcelona rampage Spanish police in manhunt 2943
- NLB, DLB back with Finance Ministry 2938
- Govt. has failed says Sampanthan Complains in letter to UNSG 2947
- New LG Draft Bill in Parliament on 24 August 2943
- Travis Sinniah appointed Navy Chief Holder of highest combat medal 3037
- Solution to ethnic issue New Constitution the only way – Mano 2940
- 18-year sentence sought for Lankan Convicted of human smuggling 2945
- SIS man on the mat Nabbed with gold at BIA 2946
- Mixed reaction to ‘bus priority lane’ 2008
- Why jo remained in CA 2060
- Bribery and corruption pervasive malaise in Sri Lanka 3266
- Schoolboy publisher Notching up half a century in business 2960
- Spirits Nether world inhabitants visiting us 2957
- Sri Lanka Vs India 1st ODI Sri Lanka out to change fortunes 1756
- Never Thought I’ll be SL captain – Tharanga 1796
- Anika clinches fifth tennis crown 1752
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-17 Division II Cricket St. Peter’s win by two wickets 1742
- X Pro Academic U-15 team here 1747
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-17 Division II Cricket St. Sebastian meet Thurstan’s in semis today 1746
- Cook and Anderson pile on agony for West Indies 1739
- All Blacks hit highs in 54-34 win over Wallabies 1745
- Sri Lanka lose opening match 1743
- Seven countries compete 2958
- The day JRJ survived an assassination attempt in Parliament Recollection of a miraculous survival! 1925
- People in a dilemma To feed or not to feed starving animals 1910
- Bid to save jumbos from extinction 1916
- Manhandling a lift operator Is the IGP above the Law? 1924
- Political commentary What’s next? Who’s next? 3833
- Students won’t give up till demands met – Lahiru 1587
- Referendum needed to postpone polls – Deshapriya 1653
- Proposed crippling countrywide strike TO SAVE ECONOMY, ASSETS, NATURAL RESOURCES– D.J. RAJAKARUNA 2821
- No taxes on EPF withdrawals– John Seneviratne 3442
- Zero support for Justice Minister within UNP – Ajith P. Perera 3495
- New programme to uplift SMEs soon 1523
- Govt urges CEB, ‘Obey Orders’ 1528
- Banks and insurance companies should collaborate 1527
- Duty waiver will hit BOP, drain forex – Senior Economist 1653
- Infosys CEO Vishal Sikka resigns 1529
- CBSL to resume talks with PayPal & Stripe 1654
- Pan Asian Power acquires Kotmale Oya Power Two 1517
- HNB records Rs 13.4 B in PBT 1515
- Visits to UK rise amid fall in pound 1518
- Mobitel unveils next tech revolution with ‘X Station’ 1532
- A time of gifts Staying on 1561
- Manuka honey:The superbug killer 2500
- A time of gifts Trying to settle down 2267
- Chithral releases his latest song 1566
- Florals: A Fashion Favourite 1561
- Be a lioness not a lamb 1050
- Places to visit in Kandy 1399
- Dhothalu Oya Sandaraja Forest amidst tea estates 1527
- prelate who promoted Buddhist studies in British era 1522
- Principles underlying planetary combinations Understanding and Interpreting their results 1521
- CAUSE OF DEATH- 2 1515
- How to identify 22nd Derkanadhipati 1514
- Shadow planets transit new Houses 1515
- Cinema of Attraction 1779
- The global and local in Hong Kong cinema 1841
- Pakistani Cinema Had Its Own Way of Looking at Partition Too 1528
- Locarno: Sri Lanka’s Sky Entertainers Presents Lineup at Open Doors Lab 1640
- Fitting Social critique 2096
- Collection of critical essays 1515
- Knowledge on the go 888
- Anxiety: the 21st century pandemic 1028
- Prawn farming – a delicious destruction 902
- When you hit rock bottom 916
- Electronic waste – a looming threat 890
- The humble roti revamped 892