Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa's brother, Basil, yesterday claimed that the Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) will win over 200 local government bodies and control the highest number of local government institutions after the coming elections.
Latest News - Politics
The Speakers, Deputy Speakers and representatives of the Parliaments of SAARC countries are to take part in today's special session of Parliament to mark the 70th anniversary of the introduction of the Parliamentary System to Sri Lanka.
The tenure of the North Central Provincial Council (NCPC) ended at midnight yesterday and the administration powers has been handed over to the Governor P. B. Dissanayake.
National Freedom Front (NFF) Leader, MP Wimal Weerawansa yesterday claimed that the Government is trying to pass the proposed new Constitution in Parliament in a corrupt manner, without caring about the opinion of the Judiciary.
BY Upatissa Perera
Former Prime Minister the late S.W.R.D. Bandaranaike, Founder of the Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP), will be commemorated on his 58th death tomorrow (26).
By Sidath Mendis
The Joint Opposition (JO) parliamentary group has called for an urgent meeting with JO and SLFP Kurunegala District MP Mahinda Rajapaksa, ...
Former President of Sri Lanka and the Chairperson of the Office of National Unity and Reconciliation (ONUR), Chandrika Kumaratunga said that universities have an important role to play in national unity and reconciliation in the country.
By Skandha Gunasekara
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe informed Parliament yesterday that the Local Government elections would be held in January, while the Party leaders would take a decision on the fate of the Provincial Council polls.
President Maithripala Sirisena will leave for New York, US today (17) to attend the 72nd General Assembly of the United Nations (UN).
By Thayaga Bandara
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said that the head of the Election Commission has consented to a request made to his office by all mainstream political parties to hold the 2017 LG polls in January next year.
By Sidath Mendis
A frontline leader of the Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) Basil Rajapaksa claims that the party's membership had increased to 2 million over the past two months.
By Skandha Gunasekara
It was proposed in Parliament yesterday that media personnel too, should be made to declare their assets and liabilities.
The proposal was made by UNP MP Ravi Karunanayake.
- Death of Jacintha Peiris
- Renovation work on golden canopy begins
- Poverty down to 4.1% But highest in the North
- MR to preside at SLPP rallies
- Prelates decrying new Constitution Govt to blame says Mano
- New office to assist Uma Oya affected
- Importance of Tourism stressed Dengue threat lgnored
- Indian soldier revisits a brutal battlefield
- Large crowd at Berlin Katina Pooja
- PC polls campaigns Nimal, John lead SLFP team
- ‘Savisthri’ report handed over to Sampanthan
- Nimal warns Railway unions Strict action against strikers
- Attack on Rohingya refugee shelter Police trap monk in Nittambuwa
- Call to extend PCoI term VAC wants to unmask 20 UNPers
- K’Nochchi poorest, at Rs 28,483 Household expenses increase to Rs 62,237 pm Rich spend Rs 158,072 pm per household
- Don’t be misled on new Constitution – President
- PM presents economic policy to Parliament Govt targets private sector involvement
- One Final Offer From the EU to the UK
- Anti-Dumping Bill Gazetted Protection for Local Industries
- Tourism Statistics SLTDA disputes CCC
- Smugglers detained at BIA
- SI injured during hooch raid Falls from third floor balcony
- 1070 traffic fatalities in 2017 121 murders during same period - Police
- Rattota Police OIC suspended
- Technical error in Diversity Visa Programme DV-2019 US Embassy says re-register
- Sri Lanka crumble again, 173 All Out
- De Villiers, Hasan Ali move to top of ODI rankings
- Resurgent Zimbabwe face rising West Indies
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Hasintha gets ton
- SLCA shows concern for players’ safety
- WI keep SL to 69 to take 1-0 lead
- Trinitians roar to regain Lanka Lions Rugby Sevens title Dilshan Kelaniyangoda named Player of the Tournament
- Hafeez reported for suspect bowling action
- MAS win swimming crown for seventh year
- Kiwis out to tame India's newest spin duo
- This simple investment strategy could protect you if the US stock market cracks
- Google’s parent company leads $1 billion investment in Lyft
- Nissan halts production in Japan
- These airline stocks have doubled while rivals go bust
- China's answer to Groupon and Yelp is now worth $30B
- Goldman Sachs Chief Lloyd Blankfein hints at Frankfurt move
- Amazon: More than 100 cities bid for new headquarters
- End of Australia auto-making sector as Holden closes doors
- May pleads for Brexit deal she can sell at home
- Black Monday 1987: ‘Our jaws hit the desk’
- Concentrated wisdom Learning from others
- lateral thinking Nation’s guardians celebrate 68th Anniversary
- A Time of Gifts Starting to wind down
- The month of ‘Katina Pinkama’
- OVERWHELMING RESPONSE HUMANITY AT ITS BEST
- Fall of Raqqa
- UN urges B’desh to move Rohingya refugees
- Flu shots are the greatest medical fraud in the history of the world
- Sucking it up
- Ahikuntika community of Sri Lanka Diminishing cultural traits
- No Revenge I want to embrace all those who left us – Basil Rajapaksa
- Large Industrial Zone for Thulhiriya
- Even the PM should be in Prison for the frauds
- Would like more Pradeshiya Sabhas for N’Eliya-Radhakrishnan
- Skills mismatch a massive economic cost Education system must be reformed
- UNHRC Resolution 30/1 Implications for Sri Lanka (Part II) (Based on a presentation to the OPA)
- Electoral Reforms are for People’s Benefit
- Managing perception with international community
- The Unwrapped Hope - Translated
- An Aspirant to the Throne of Hearts-Virajini Thennekoon
- The latest addition to the Galle Hospitality industry
- Best Hikes in Sri Lanka
- What went wrong at the Apple Inc. iPhone X demo?
- Salient points of horoscope Assessment
- KARMIC CONNECTIONS IN THE BIRTH CHARTS 2
- Dream of travelling abroad?
- Mystery behind Osama bin Laden explained
- Three poses to relieve trauma
- Socio-economic developments from critical perspective
- KAZUO ISHIGURO – THE NEW NOBEL LAUREATE
- The Fairway Galle Literary Festival 2018 –Internationally acclaimed authors to take part
- Portrayal of country and nature
- Resonant Field Imaging - a Marvel in Technology
- Shankar’s International Children’s Competition 2018
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Making plus-sized clothing trendy
- Pyjamas go viral as well - Sharmila Srikumar
- Giving back to Society
- Double treat at Pinnawala
- Mental illness a health issue Replacing stigma with compassion
- Studying to be ahead