Colombo High Court Judge Sampath Abeykoon yesterday gave permission for Namal Rajapaksa to travel abroad from 20-31 December to attend a function in the United Arab Emirates. He also ordered the accused to inform the Court once he returns to Sri Lanka.
Latest News - Politics
Speaking to Ceylon Today, Parliamentarian Dr. Nalinda Jayatissa said, the female representation of the party is nearly 35%-36% and in certain Local Government bodies, the JVP had even exceeded the set quota. Youth representation, which includes candidates below the age of 35, will also be similarly considered.
Northern Chief Minister C.V. Wigneswaran in his budget speech yesterday said that the people of the North have to depend on the South for all their needs, and the Central Government is of the view that complete power devolution should be in the hands of the majority.
Colombo High Court Judge Vikum Kaluarachchi yesterday (11) ordered the Court Registrar to obtain the report of the case filed against National Freedom Front MP Wimal Weerawansa, in the Gangodawila Magistrate's Court, by Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC).
BY GAGANI WEERAKOON & RATHINDRA KURUWITA
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe will make a special statement tomorrow (8) morning in Parliament on the increased cost of living and the Government's decision to import rice and coconut as a temporary measure to provide relief for consumers. The increasing cost of living has been extensively discussed at this week's Cabinet meeting and it has been decided that Prime Minister Wickremesinghe will explain what led to this crisis situation and detail the steps Government is planning to take in the immediate future.
The case against former United National Party General Secretary Tissa Attanayake, on charges of preparing and publishing a forged document, alleging that there was a secret agreement between Maithripala Sirisena, the candidate at the last Presidential Election and Ranil Wickremesinghe, which was heard before Colombo High Court Judge Kelum Kaluarachi yesterday (4), was postponed to 26 February 2018.
A party leaders meeting will take place with the participation of Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe today (24), to discuss the delay of the Local Government (LG) elections, Speaker Karu Jayasuriya said yesterday (23).
With several members raising issues of Parliamentary privileges being violated, an urgent meeting of the Committee on Parliamentary Privileges will be held at an earliest date next week.
The Supreme Court yesterday ordered that the voice recording of Deputy Minister Ranjan Ramanayake, where he had allegedly been critical of the judiciary, be produced in Court on 14 December.
The Court of Appeal yesterday (21) set 24 November to announce its verdict, relating to a request made by former Minister Basil Rajapaksa, who has sought to have the almanac case filed against him changed from Colombo High Court Judge Gihan Kulathunga to another Judge.
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe will leave for India today (21) on an official visit and will have a bilateral meeting with the Indian Premier, Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe will arrive at the Presidential Commission of Inquiry (PCoI), probing the controversial Central Bank Treasury Bonds issue today, in order to provide clarifications on matters of interest to the Commission.
- UN damns Lanka 14,000 minors in childcare centres Calls for urgent reforms
- Russia restricts Lanka tea over beetle scare Top-level delegation off to Moscow
- Call to criminalize marital rape Justice Ministry seeks Cabinet approval
- Jumbo killings Armed protection unit to be set up Fines, jail terms to be increased
- Crossovers loom prior to polls
- SC issues notice on Elections Chief
- Jilted SLFP shuns JO forever
- CEB TU threatens strike Gives 18th as ultimatum
- Gnanasara Thera’s request for foreign travel denied
- Chinese envoy says OBOR will take Sino-Lanka ties to new level
- Police Chief in pre-poll warning Errant officers will be dealt with strictly
- Court extends Stay Order on Gota case
- Sriyani as State Minister of PCs and LG JO crossover pledged support for MS
- Rains to prevail Landslide warning to Galle, Kalutara to be reviewed
- BJP lauds ‘Ram Setu’ findings Hits out at critics
- Two held for impersonation at exam centre
- Female Genital Mutilation Advice sought from medical experts
- Hambantota Port to China India raises security concerns
- Indian Air Force Chief at passing out parade
- Statement from the Embassy of the State of Palestine
- LG Governance first to collapse in N&E
- Asgiriya Secy criticizes Govt
- Namal’s Hello Corp case on 13 December
- Attanayake’s foreign travel request Court to consider on 4 Dec
- Drugs & alcohol abuse in NE Religious reps to address issue
- Interesting battle at Havelock Park
- Thurstan win inaugural golf tourney
- History making Pulisic US men’s footballer of the year
- Knicks down Nets despite early exit for Porzingis
- 34th Mercantile Individual Tournament 2017 McLarens shuttlers Overall Champions
- Retired Hewitt takes tilt at Aussie Open doubles
- Lamborghini World Final 2017 Malagamuwa finishes third
- Committee clears Thilaka as SL coach
- Basnayake uncontested president at SLCF
- Premier League Club Cricket Primosh scores second ton
- Astron wins again at SLIM NASCO 2017
- NDB brings Santa to the doorstep
- Com Bank opens branch No. 259 in Yatiyantota
- Amãna Takaful relocates Matale Branch
- Lotus Tyres rewards sales agents
- DFCC Bank sponsors 2017 Inter-School Golf Tournament
- Huawei announces Christmas promotion
- Elephant House recognized by Interbrand
- Singer (Sri Lanka) partners with Pan Asia Bank
- Disney deal suggests the Tax bill may mean little for the economy
- Christmas cheer is in the air!
- So, this is Christmas!
- A Time of Gifts Winding up
- Landmine deaths soar in 2016 With record number of child victims monitors
- Unravelling Nietzsche’s ‘death of God’ mystery
- Canada’s pivot to China hits a snag
- Brexit: The UK’s four options
- When the heart calls out, on a starry night
- On eve of climate summit Macron reminds Trump of ‘responsibility to history’
- FGM/FGC Victims speak out
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- All information security issues are not cyber crimes
- We want a change in Muslim representation– Hasen Ali
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Alleged human rights violations Lord Naseby defends Sri Lanka
- Millennials and Marriages
- Abu Dhabi to acquire ‘Salvator Mundi’
- MacOs High Sierra security fix
- Are Lemurs Going Extinct?
- An Echo of Womanhood
- Neecha Dosha of planets and how it is cancelled Neechabhanga Rajayoga
- Vastu defects and bathrooms
- Are you endowed with Pancha Maha PurushaYoga?
- God Aiyanayake: Guardian Deity of Jungle and Village
- Good thoughts eliminate bad planetary influence
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Silvia Senanayake Dazzles at Mrs. Asia International
- Let’s Taco Colombo
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENNETTE MULLED WINE
- Hunger gnaws at Rohingya Children in camps
- Defeating IS Russia has ‘accomplished’ task
- Saudi Princess Ameera Aidan fights sex exploitation
- Hacking into the gate
- Review: A Bad Moms Christmas Relatable holiday humour
- A must watch superhero film!