The Seventh 'Colombo Defence Seminar - 2017' themed 'Countering Violent Extremism: Global Trends', will be held at the BMICH, Colombo from 28th - 29th August.
Latest News - Local
The planning seminar is taking place in Colombo for the new Norwegian Research vessel Dr Fridtjof Nansen to come to Sri Lankan waters in 2018 to carry out a survey on the marine resources. This is part of the technical and institutional cooperation on Fisheries between Norway and Sri Lanka, which was endorsed by the top level political authorities of the two countries.
Ministry of Education has decided to revise the closing date of the second stage of second school term of all Muslim schools and the opening date of the third term.
The program to distribute dry rations to people affected by the drought in Anuradhapura District is being conducted successfully.
A large and high-tech ocean Research Vessel (R/V) of the Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology (KIOST), 'ISABU', arrived at the Port of Colombo as the first port of call on 16th August to strengthen maritime cooperation between Korea and Sri Lanka.
The new Inland Revenue Bill (IRB), which accommodates amendments facilitating the concerns raised by the Supreme Court will be taken up for debate in Parliament on 25 August, State Minister of Finance, Eran Wickremaratne said.
A gazette notification has been issued enabling the transfer of the Development and National Lotteries Boards to the Ministry of Finance.
The 10 per cent telecommunication levy imposed on internet services will be removed with effect from 1 September, Finance Minister Mangala Samaraweera announced yesterday.
Commander of Sri Lanka Navy Eastern Area, Rear Admiral Travis Jeremy Liyanduru Sinniah is to be appointed Commander of Sri Lanka Navy. He will succeed Vice Admiral Ravindra Wijegunaratne who is to be appointed Chief of Defence Staff.
Weather today 1812
A slight enhancement of showery condition over the South-western part of the country can be expected in today and tomorrow.
Fairly strong winds can be expected over the country (particularly in Uva, North-central, North-western provinces and Mathale, Trincomalee, Ampara and Hambanthota districts) and alsostrong winds can be expected in the surrounding sea areas.
Sections of the Eastern University was shut down temporarily yesterday due to certain unsettled conditions relating to student welfare and facilities, officials said.
The prices of motorcycles, mini trucks and single cabs are expected to be slashed with the reduction of duty rates, Finance Minister Mangala Samaraweera said yesterday.
Excise duty imposed on motorcycles with an engine capacity below 150cc will be removed and with effect from midnight today (17), Finance Minister Mangala Samaraweera said.
The photographic exhibition 'Heta Dakina Ranil' (Ranil who sees the future) depicting the special moments of 40 years in politics of Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe will be held from today (17th Aug.) to 20th August at the BMICH.
The Working Committee of the United National Party will meet this morning at Sirikotha and one of the items up for discussion is a Motion of No-Confidence against one of the party's Cabinet Ministers, Justice Minister Wijeyadasa Rajapakshe.
Health Minister Rajitha Senaratna said that the government will invest Rs 28 billion next year to develop the health sector.
The seventh annual Colombo Defence Seminar (CDS) will take place on 28 and 29 August, with the expected attendance of all the Army Chiefs of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) countries.
Weather today 1645
Fairly strong winds can be expected over the country (particularly in Uva province and Jaffna, Mannar, Kegalle, Avissawella, Maduruoya and Pottuvil areas) in next few days.
Tuition classes or extra classes for students who will be sitting the grade-five scholarship examination scheduled for 20th August will be banned from midnight today (16th Aug.) until the end of the examination, Commissioner General of Examinations W.M.N.J. Pushpakumara said.
Special import levy imposed on sugar will be increased by Rs.8 effective from midnight today
Minister Thilak Marapana was sworn in as the new Minister of Foreign Affairs before President Maithripala Sirisena this morning (15th Aug.) at the Presidential Secretariat.
The photographic exhibition 'Heta Dakina Ranil' (Ranil who sees the future) depicting the special moments of 40 years in politics of Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe will be held from 17th- 20th August at the BMICH.
First phase of the bus priority lane project will be implemented today from the Moratuwa Kurusa Handiya to Katubedda and from the Savoy Cinema Hall to the Bambalapitiya Junction in order to reduce traffic congestion in Colombo.
In the wake of the Prime Minister's assertion that action will be taken with regard to high profile cases involving the Rajapaksas, three members from that family have been summoned to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) and the Financial Crime Investigation Department (FCID) today and tomorrow.
The Cabinet of Ministers, which is to meet today, will take a 'controversial' decision on the holding of Provincial Council elections, Minister Mahinda Amaraweera, who is also the General Secretary of the United Peoples' Freedom Alliance (UPFA), told Ceylon Today.
Commander of the Army, Lieutenant General Mahesh Senanayake paid a courtesy call on the Commander of the Navy, Vice Admiral Ravindra Wijegunaratne at the Naval Headquarters today (14th Aug.).
The project Under Transforming the School Education System as the Foundation of a Knowledge Hub Project (TSEP) (2012-2017), Sri Lanka aided by World Bank and Australian Aided (Aus-DFAT) was successfully implemented from year 2012 to date.
Weather today 1244
Cloudy skies can be expected at most parts of the island.
Showers or thundershowers will occur at Northern, North-Central, Eastern, Uva and Central provinces after 2.00 p.m.Showers can be expected in the Jaffna district during the morning too.
Sri Lanka Computer Emergency Response Team (SLCERT) has named August as the Cyber-security month.
Considering the importance of having a sustainable tourism plan for Sigiriya, the Sub-Committee on Sustainable Tourism produced the 'Proposal for Mitigating over Crowding at the World Heritage site of Sigiriya'.
Weather today 1303
There is a high possibility of afternoon thundershowers in the Eastern, Uva, Northern and North-Central provinces today (13th Aug.). Cloudy skies can be expected in most parts of the island.
The construction work of the first two projects to generate electricity from garbage commenced under the patronage of President Maithripala Sirisena on 10th Aug. in Kerawalapitiya.
The Government is planning to establish a University for the Police featuring criminal justice procedure in the syllabus, Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said...... addressing the Interpol South and Southeast Asian Decision Makers' Working Group conference on countering terrorism and terrorism related transnational crime yesterday at the BMICH.
The government is planning to hold all the provincial council elections on the same day.
Minister of Foreign Affairs Ravi Karunanayake has officially stepped down from his position in the cabinet moments ago.
The Government has imposed an Annual License Fee of Rs 50,000 for import of non potable spirit and therefore the Treasury has imposed an Excise Duty of Rs 25 for one liter of Methanol Spirit with affect from 1st August.
If immediate action is not taken by the Government to assist those who have been affected by the Uma Oya Project, over 15,000 residents of Bandarawela will be displaced with the...... north-east monsoon that is set to peak in another 45 days, the Centre for Human Rights (CHR) said in a press release.
The stock market fell to an 81-week low yesterday, unsettled by the current political instability led by the impasse in the ongoing Treasury (T)-Bond scandal.
The Department of Registration of Persons has taken steps to introduce a new Smart National Identity Card (NIC) within next two months, replacing the current NIC that has been in use since 1972.
The National Ceremony to hand over 5,000 land deeds to the residents of Mahaweli H Division will be held under the patronage of President Maithripala Sirisena on 12th August at the Thalawa Stadium.
Kayts Magistrate M.M. Riyal yesterday queried the delay in questioning State Minister Vijayakala Maheswaran, over video footage submitted to the Court by the Defence Counsel of former Jaffna Senior Deputy Inspector General of Police, Lalith Jayasinghe, in connection with the murder of Vithya Sivaloganathan.
General Secretary of the United National Party and Minister of Highways, Higher Education and Investment Promotion, Kabir Hashim, told Ceylon Today, that Party members are awaiting Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe's final decision on Foreign Minister Ravi Karunanayake's alleged involvement in the Treasury Bond scam.
No-Faith motion against Ravi K Speaker sends motion to AG House to be informed of future course of action tomorrow 2276
The much-hyped 'no confidence' motion against Foreign Minister Ravi Karunanayake is in limbo, as Speaker Karu Jayasuriya is consulting the Attorney General (AG) on the content of the motion.
President Maithripala Sirisena who visited Kandy yesterday for the Esala Perahera, paid homage to the Sacred Tooth Relic and secured blessings, today (8th Aug.).
On guard in Jaffna 1867
A Special Task Force (STF) officer stands guard at the Jaffna Central Bus stand. Following a series of attacks targeting Police personnel in Jaffna the STF presence has been increased in the peninsula with extensive search operations. (PA)
The Tamil National Alliance (TNA) hierarchy will meet President Maithripala Sirisena and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe today(9) to discuss the security situation in the North. Jaffna District Parliamentarian......and Ilankai Tamil Arasu Katchi (ITAK) Leader Mavai Senathirajah said the Leader of the TNA R. Sampanthan had written to both the President and PM requesting for a discussion regarding the prevailing security situation in the North.
The Centre for Human Rights (CHR) has written to the Secretary to the Ministry of Buddha Sasana to assess the damage caused to 22 Buddhist temples in Bandarawela due to the effects of the Uma Oya Project and provide compensation.
The Terrorism Investigation Division (TID) apprehended the leader of the Aava group and five other suspects yesterday (07) in connection with the recent sword attack on Police Officers in Kopay.
Weather today 2047
There is a high possibility of afternoon thundershowers in the Eastern, Uva, Northern and North-Central provinces. Cloudy skies can be expected at most parts of the island.
President's Counsel and Former Attorney General and Minister of Developments Assignments Tilak Janaka Marapana will be shortly sworn in as the new Minister of Foreign Affairs of Sri Lanka.
- Doha visa waiver for 80 countries Lankan job market under threat 2734
- AG warns against delaying Audit Bill Phobia on surcharge powers 2538
- Report on mayhem at FTZ President’s Office opts to remain silent 2599
- Market enjoys $ 88M NFIs 2545
- Political controversies laid to rest Stock Market makes gains 2549
- Implementation of sticker proposal on Liquor Delay costs Govt Rs 40B 2593
- CBK secretly invited Norway Only two people in Colombo knew when I first met Prabhakaran – Solheim 2561
- Harmony needed for religious freedom – Minister 2990
- CMC property taxes 2997
- Proposed tax on EPF, ETF ICEU seeks urgent meeting with Minister 3000
- Car plunges into river Two dead, three critically injured 3125
- Arson attack on schoolgirl’s house Minister promises new home 2995
- Australian gender advocate in Lanka Broderick to meet business, public leaders 2962
- Fire at Weligama textile store 2974
- Protest planned on Matale A9 Road Compensation demand for lost property 2966
- Rs 128,250,000 spent on survey Samurdhi union demands reimbursement 3059
- NEC to boost economy – President Shot in the arm for agriculture sector 2960
- Driver who killed 13 in Barcelona rampage Spanish police in manhunt 2943
- NLB, DLB back with Finance Ministry 2938
- Govt. has failed says Sampanthan Complains in letter to UNSG 2947
- New LG Draft Bill in Parliament on 24 August 2943
- Travis Sinniah appointed Navy Chief Holder of highest combat medal 3038
- Solution to ethnic issue New Constitution the only way – Mano 2941
- 18-year sentence sought for Lankan Convicted of human smuggling 2945
- SIS man on the mat Nabbed with gold at BIA 2946
- Mixed reaction to ‘bus priority lane’ 2009
- Why jo remained in CA 2062
- Bribery and corruption pervasive malaise in Sri Lanka 3267
- Schoolboy publisher Notching up half a century in business 2960
- Spirits Nether world inhabitants visiting us 2957
- Sri Lanka Vs India 1st ODI Sri Lanka out to change fortunes 1757
- Never Thought I’ll be SL captain – Tharanga 1797
- Anika clinches fifth tennis crown 1753
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-17 Division II Cricket St. Peter’s win by two wickets 1743
- X Pro Academic U-15 team here 1749
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-17 Division II Cricket St. Sebastian meet Thurstan’s in semis today 1747
- Cook and Anderson pile on agony for West Indies 1740
- All Blacks hit highs in 54-34 win over Wallabies 1746
- Sri Lanka lose opening match 1744
- Seven countries compete 2958
- The day JRJ survived an assassination attempt in Parliament Recollection of a miraculous survival! 1926
- People in a dilemma To feed or not to feed starving animals 1911
- Bid to save jumbos from extinction 1917
- Manhandling a lift operator Is the IGP above the Law? 1925
- Political commentary What’s next? Who’s next? 3833
- Students won’t give up till demands met – Lahiru 1589
- Referendum needed to postpone polls – Deshapriya 1655
- Proposed crippling countrywide strike TO SAVE ECONOMY, ASSETS, NATURAL RESOURCES– D.J. RAJAKARUNA 2821
- No taxes on EPF withdrawals– John Seneviratne 3442
- Zero support for Justice Minister within UNP – Ajith P. Perera 3495
- New programme to uplift SMEs soon 1524
- Govt urges CEB, ‘Obey Orders’ 1529
- Banks and insurance companies should collaborate 1528
- Duty waiver will hit BOP, drain forex – Senior Economist 1654
- Infosys CEO Vishal Sikka resigns 1530
- CBSL to resume talks with PayPal & Stripe 1657
- Pan Asian Power acquires Kotmale Oya Power Two 1518
- HNB records Rs 13.4 B in PBT 1516
- Visits to UK rise amid fall in pound 1519
- Mobitel unveils next tech revolution with ‘X Station’ 1533
- A time of gifts Staying on 1562
- Manuka honey:The superbug killer 2500
- A time of gifts Trying to settle down 2267
- Chithral releases his latest song 1567
- Florals: A Fashion Favourite 1562
- Be a lioness not a lamb 1050
- Places to visit in Kandy 1399
- Dhothalu Oya Sandaraja Forest amidst tea estates 1527
- prelate who promoted Buddhist studies in British era 1523
- Principles underlying planetary combinations Understanding and Interpreting their results 1522
- CAUSE OF DEATH- 2 1516
- How to identify 22nd Derkanadhipati 1514
- Shadow planets transit new Houses 1516
- Cinema of Attraction 1780
- The global and local in Hong Kong cinema 1842
- Pakistani Cinema Had Its Own Way of Looking at Partition Too 1529
- Locarno: Sri Lanka’s Sky Entertainers Presents Lineup at Open Doors Lab 1640
- Fitting Social critique 2097
- Collection of critical essays 1516
- Knowledge on the go 889
- Anxiety: the 21st century pandemic 1029
- Prawn farming – a delicious destruction 903
- When you hit rock bottom 917
- Electronic waste – a looming threat 890
- The humble roti revamped 893