Following the approval of the Commander-In-Chief of the Armed Forces and the Minister of Defence, HE the President, the Commander of the Army on the directions of the Ministry of Defence, has offered a general amnesty for Army absentees, enabling them to receive their legal discharge from the Army.
Latest News - Local
By S. Bashkaran
While celebrating Deepavali, the people of Iranaitheevu requested the government to expedite the release of their lands.
"These are our ancestral lands which we need to improve our livelihood, which is fishing. Therefore, releasing them could be a gesture of goodwill by the government," villagers explained.
The National Water Supply and Drainage Board (NWSDB) says that a 12-hour water cut will be in place for several areas in and around Kadawatha today (20).
By Cassendra Doole
Over a 1,000 persons were killed in road accidents while 100 murders were reported during the present year, a spokesman with the Police Media Unit told Ceylon Today yesterday (19).
President Maithripala Sirisena is expected to make a statement to the nation regarding the Government's position on the South Asian Institute of Technology and Medicine (SAITM), Minister of Higher Education Lakshman Kiriella informed Parliament yesterday.
A handbill distribution campaign themed, "Let's align with the final struggle to abolish SAITM" organized by the Anti SAITM Union was held at the Fort Railway Station, today (19).
Visiting Foreign Secretary of Pakistan Ms. Tehmina Janjua called on Prime Minister of Sri Lanka Ranil Wickremesinghe at his office yesterday in Colombo.
The Ceylon Petroleum Corporation reported a loss of Rs 68 Billion for the nine-month period, from January to September 2017, due to the Government providing fuel and kerosene at reduced prices since January 2015.
In a bid to reduce the number of road accidents, a novel mobile app was introduced at the Police Head Quarters yesterday (18).
The app, named 'Crossing Assistant', was invented by 22-year-old Sanka Rathnayake – a product of St. Joseph's College Colombo 10.
By Paneetha Ameresekere
The Cabinet Minister of Law and Order, Sagala Ratnayaka said that the 'Colombo Port City' reclamation work will be completed by 2019 with the first US$ 1 billion investment on board by the beginning of next year.
Hindus throughout the world celebrate Deepavali festival today.
In support of the vision, 'A Green Country, A Clean Environment' set by the Ministry of Environment, which incidentally comes under the purview of His Excellency the President as the subject minister, navy divers attached to the Northern and Eastern Naval
- Death of Jacintha Peiris
- Renovation work on golden canopy begins
- Poverty down to 4.1% But highest in the North
- MR to preside at SLPP rallies
- Prelates decrying new Constitution Govt to blame says Mano
- New office to assist Uma Oya affected
- Importance of Tourism stressed Dengue threat lgnored
- Indian soldier revisits a brutal battlefield
- Large crowd at Berlin Katina Pooja
- PC polls campaigns Nimal, John lead SLFP team
- ‘Savisthri’ report handed over to Sampanthan
- Nimal warns Railway unions Strict action against strikers
- Attack on Rohingya refugee shelter Police trap monk in Nittambuwa
- Call to extend PCoI term VAC wants to unmask 20 UNPers
- K’Nochchi poorest, at Rs 28,483 Household expenses increase to Rs 62,237 pm Rich spend Rs 158,072 pm per household
- Don’t be misled on new Constitution – President
- PM presents economic policy to Parliament Govt targets private sector involvement
- One Final Offer From the EU to the UK
- Anti-Dumping Bill Gazetted Protection for Local Industries
- Tourism Statistics SLTDA disputes CCC
- Smugglers detained at BIA
- SI injured during hooch raid Falls from third floor balcony
- 1070 traffic fatalities in 2017 121 murders during same period - Police
- Rattota Police OIC suspended
- Technical error in Diversity Visa Programme DV-2019 US Embassy says re-register
- Sri Lanka crumble again, 173 All Out
- De Villiers, Hasan Ali move to top of ODI rankings
- Resurgent Zimbabwe face rising West Indies
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Hasintha gets ton
- SLCA shows concern for players’ safety
- WI keep SL to 69 to take 1-0 lead
- Trinitians roar to regain Lanka Lions Rugby Sevens title Dilshan Kelaniyangoda named Player of the Tournament
- Hafeez reported for suspect bowling action
- MAS win swimming crown for seventh year
- Kiwis out to tame India's newest spin duo
- This simple investment strategy could protect you if the US stock market cracks
- Google’s parent company leads $1 billion investment in Lyft
- Nissan halts production in Japan
- These airline stocks have doubled while rivals go bust
- China's answer to Groupon and Yelp is now worth $30B
- Goldman Sachs Chief Lloyd Blankfein hints at Frankfurt move
- Amazon: More than 100 cities bid for new headquarters
- End of Australia auto-making sector as Holden closes doors
- May pleads for Brexit deal she can sell at home
- Black Monday 1987: ‘Our jaws hit the desk’
- Concentrated wisdom Learning from others
- lateral thinking Nation’s guardians celebrate 68th Anniversary
- A Time of Gifts Starting to wind down
- The month of ‘Katina Pinkama’
- OVERWHELMING RESPONSE HUMANITY AT ITS BEST
- Fall of Raqqa
- UN urges B’desh to move Rohingya refugees
- Flu shots are the greatest medical fraud in the history of the world
- Sucking it up
- Ahikuntika community of Sri Lanka Diminishing cultural traits
- No Revenge I want to embrace all those who left us – Basil Rajapaksa
- Large Industrial Zone for Thulhiriya
- Even the PM should be in Prison for the frauds
- Would like more Pradeshiya Sabhas for N’Eliya-Radhakrishnan
- Skills mismatch a massive economic cost Education system must be reformed
- UNHRC Resolution 30/1 Implications for Sri Lanka (Part II) (Based on a presentation to the OPA)
- Electoral Reforms are for People’s Benefit
- Managing perception with international community
- The Unwrapped Hope - Translated
- An Aspirant to the Throne of Hearts-Virajini Thennekoon
- The latest addition to the Galle Hospitality industry
- Best Hikes in Sri Lanka
- What went wrong at the Apple Inc. iPhone X demo?
- Salient points of horoscope Assessment
- KARMIC CONNECTIONS IN THE BIRTH CHARTS 2
- Dream of travelling abroad?
- Mystery behind Osama bin Laden explained
- Three poses to relieve trauma
- Socio-economic developments from critical perspective
- KAZUO ISHIGURO – THE NEW NOBEL LAUREATE
- The Fairway Galle Literary Festival 2018 –Internationally acclaimed authors to take part
- Portrayal of country and nature
- Resonant Field Imaging - a Marvel in Technology
- Shankar’s International Children’s Competition 2018
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Making plus-sized clothing trendy
- Pyjamas go viral as well - Sharmila Srikumar
- Giving back to Society
- Double treat at Pinnawala
- Mental illness a health issue Replacing stigma with compassion
- Studying to be ahead