Ravi K. should be jailed! – Bandula Gunawardena
WITH RAVI LADDUWAHETTY
Colombo District Joint Opposition MP Bandula Gunawardena said yesterday that Foreign Minister Ravi Karunanayake should be arrested and jailed for the crimes he committed during his tenure as Finance Minister.
Gunawardena, who was also Minister of Rural Economy and Deputy Minister of Finance during the abridged United National Front Government of 2001-2004, said that Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and the entire Government was embarrassed by the actions of Karunanayake and former Central Bank Governor Arjuna Mahendran whom he trusted and appointed. Even in the Buddhist scriptures, the Maha Mangala Sutra says associate the wise and not the foolish and worship those worthy of worship (Asevanacha Balanan, Pandithanancha Sevana, Poojacha Poojaneeyanan, Ethan Mangala Muttamang).
Here, he is in conversation with Ceylon Today.
? What are your thoughts on the current political impasse with Minister of Foreign Affairs Ravi Karunanayake being pressurized to resign in the wake of the findings of the Presidential Commission of Inquiry into the Central Bank Bond Scam?
A: This is a very serious issue. If he does not resign, he should be arrested and jailed! He should be jailed for a large number of reasons. One thing is that he has been a party to some of the biggest frauds, which happened in the annals of independent Sri Lanka while he held the portfolio of Finance. Then, secondly, there have been sweeping allegations against him that the Joint Opposition has this announced with proof both within Parliament and outside. Thirdly, the JO has lodged series corruption charges against him in the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC). Those circumstances are bad enough and merit his arrest.
? What are the other charges and allegations against him that the JO has levelled?
A: He has also violated the Money Laundering Prevention Act No. 5 of 2006. In addition, he has violated the Financial Transactions Reporting Act No. 6 of 2006. Under the Gazette Notification 1951/13 of 27 January 2015, it has been revealed that there have been a large number of business transactions that he has been involved in that he has not been able to declare. In another case of conflict of interest, there was a Court case being heard in relation to another money laundering case at the time he was being sworn in as Finance Minister. The presiding Judge went on retirement, but she has ruled that there could be an appeal made.
There is also incriminating evidence that there has been a close relationship between Karunanayake and the chief suspect in the Central Bank Bond Scam, Arjun Aloysius where the immediate loss of the Bond Scam to the Central Bank and the country was well over Rs 10 billion. He should also be faulted for the complete breakdown of the economy, and where he has violated Finance Act No. 11 of 1963 in relation to the Finance Minister's role in the operation and the management of Lotteries as well, bringing it under the aegis of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. He has done all this while fraudulently giving duty concessions for motor cars which have been unravelled by the Special Presidential Commission, according to the findings of the Customs.
Then, for 2015, 2016 and the half of 2017, all key economic indicators such as revenue, debt servicing, savings, balance of payments, prices, investments and others, have all gone awry and backwards. The running of the government has been according to the whims and fancies of the then Finance Minister. The Annual Report of the Ministry of Finance on page 364 says that according to the Fiscal Management Responsibility Act, the government debt should not exceed 80% of GDP. This also has been flouted in all three years.
The report said that the total debt was Rs 9,864,512 million which is 83% of the GDP. This is the report of the Auditor General as stated in the Ministry Annual Report.
So, after committing all these crimes, if he is not arrested and jailed he will be exerting pressures on all those who give evidence against him.
The funniest part of the story is there have been far less crimes committed by JO party leaders like Wimal Weerawansa and Udaya Gammanpila and they were jailed. It is now Karunanayake's turn. The entire nation is awaiting justice.
? So, are you saying that just because he resigns, does that mean that he would be absolved from all the crimes he committed?
A: We just have no problem with whatever office he holds within the UNP, whether he is the Assistant Leader or the Deputy Leader or the Leader himself or whatever. It will be the voters who will be giving their verdict at the elections.
But the irony is that he and the others in the UNP accused former President Mahinda Rajapaksa, who salvaged this nation from the most ruthless guerrilla group in the world, of being a rogue! They said that he should be arrested as he was the one who ruined this country beyond redemption. That is not all. He and the other members of the UNP alleged that the entire Cabinet, the business community, all government officials and Customs Officers were corrupt.
They said that they were the virtuous regime which was to bring in good governance after ousting the previous regime. These have been reported and oriented in the Hansards as well. Sri Lanka could have added to its political history a minister who was standing naked in a glass house and throwing stones.
It would have been to his honour, the UNP's honour and the country's honour if he managed the country's Balance Sheet and not his personal Balance Sheet and without seeking personal favours while misusing the powers of officialdom. He should have taken an example from former Finance Ministers J.R. Jayewardene, U.B. Wanninayake and Dr. N.M. Perera. In sharp contrast, Ravi Karunanayake was appointed Finance Minister while his Court case was being examined on his alleged foreign exchange frauds.
It is up to him to resign and clear his name after all the impartial inquiries are cleared.
Then, if he comes unscathed, we will hold a special celebration in Parliament for him. We are not prepared to accept him as a clean individual until he clears his name.
? So, in your opinion, what is the estimated loss to the economy from his transactions from the Bond Scam downwards?
A: It is also tragic that no one has done a real estimate in real terms of the economic losses following the two-year tenure of Ravi Karunanayake as Finance Minister.
No one has estimated the opportunity costs of the Bond Scam. No one knows the impact on the interest rates or the direct impact on the foreign direct investments.
There were a large number of foreign investors who invested in the Government Securities who pulled out their investments due to the lack of confidence in the government. There was the massive devaluation of the Rupee due to the loss of confidence in the country and the Rupee fell from Rs 131 to the Dollar to Rs 155.
The National Debt has also increased by billions due to this. I believe that the total opportunity cost of this would be Rs 1 trillion or Rs 1,000 billion! This is an amount that could have been drawn to the Tax Department as revenue if all the goods were taxed.
? The Prime Minister brought the Central Bank under his purview to ensure better management. He trusted Finance Minister Ravi Karunanayake and Central Bank Governor Arjuna Mahendran as they knew each other from their youth.
A:Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and the entire government were embarrassed by the actions of Karunanayake, Central Bank Governor Arjuna Mahendran whom he trusted and appointed. Even in the Buddhist scriptures, the Maha Mangala Sutra says associate the wise and not the foolish and worship those worthy of worship (Asevanacha Balanan, Pandithanancha Sevana, Poojacha Poojaneeyanan, Ethan Mangala Muttamang).
He brought Mahendran who was a Singaporean citizen and who could not even be a Sri Lankan citizen, to Sri Lanka and appointed him as Central Bank Governor. It was he who also recommended to President Sirisena to appoint Karunanayake as Finance Minister. It was he who appointed a three-member Sirikotha Committee of Lawyers to probe the Bond Scam.
All I have to tell the Prime Minister is that however, good you are, this is what happens to you, when you associate with bad people. I wish you to recall the media having a field day when I said that a family could eat and live for a month on Rs 2,500.
Even the cartoonists attacked me right through.
Here is an instance where the country has seen the largest daylight robbery in contemporary history but nobody is uttering a whimper on this matter!
When this Rs 2,500 story broke and when they nicknamed me as Rs 2,500, I then said that if they prove that I have robbed even a Rupee and fed my children, I will go to Galle Face, cut my belly and die! Then there was pin drop silence! Now, it is up to Ravi Karunanayake to prove that he could be exonerated of all charges.
Expect crossovers in droves when elections are announced We want to take an anti-UNP struggle forward
- India joins Wassenaar Arrangement
- A story of two blockades New York City and Yemen
- Merkel’s Germany: Shaper or Taker of a United Europe?
- Wiggy request voters to elect honest politicians
- No Natural Disasters but man-made ones –Prof. Gomes
- Rejected nomination lists SLPP packed with incompetent people – Sagala
- ‘Samurdhi Shakthi’ to be launched To showcase Samurdhi families’ talents
- Chinese worker plunges to his death at Mahabage
- Garbage mounts at Gampaha Hospital Row over incinerator
- LG Elections JVP offers protection to ‘clean’ officials
- SLFP to launch manifesto this week
- President at SLMA
- Scuffle inside temple premises Chief Monk, two others injured
- Postal Unions threaten to Strike Demand for a ‘Closed Service’
- Russian ban on Lankan tea Govt ignored earlier warning - Udayanga
- Govt has no foreign policy - Namal
- CEB unions in strike threat Over simmering bonus issue
- Malaysian PM arrives
- Russian tea row President to contact Putin
- Beetle in Lankan tea shipment to Russia Exporter to be spared says Pethiyagoda
- Canadian Police probe ‘suspicious’ deaths of billionaire couple
- Stock Market Investor losses extend to Rs 94B
- Use of polythene in political rallies CEA to take on offenders
- Draft Legislation HRCSL advice not sought – UN Experts
- Drugs and drug users on the increase
- Sri Lanka dismissed for 215 in 3rd ODI
- Bowling in T10 can help T20 skills - Amir
- Dialog Champions League Java Lane beat Navy SC
- Army in nerve racking win
- Russia making progress over doping says Coe
- Australia close to Ashes glory
- County grind 'sucks pace' out of England quicks Finn
- Nidahas Trophy 2018 SL skipper formally invites India SLC
- One dead as fans clash after Algeria derby
- Real retains Club World Cup
- Ronaldo wants to retire at Real
- 31st NYSC-Rupavahini Volleyball Tournament CEB and SLAF win men’s/women’s titles
- City make it 16 in a row
- Dialog President’s Gold Cup Volleyball Championship finals commence today
- Premier League Inter Club Cricket Tournament High scoring draw at CCC
- Dhawan, spinners seal series for India
- Premier League – Tier ‘B’ Navy and Air Force win
- Visakhapatnam will favour the home team Batsmen to dominate decider
- Jadeja hits six sixes in an over
- Ntini’s son Thando in SA U-19 World Cup squad
- SLTB AND TEA CHAIRMEN ENDORSE NO PERIL, BUT AUCTION PRICES COULD DIP
- Commercial agriculture in Wet Zone will reap high rice yields CBSL Governor Dry Zone yields low, measures needed to arrest disturbing trend
- Treasury sells dollars to CBSL From H’tota Port proceeds
- Unions go back on their word - SriLankan Chairman
- Make up your minds – Harsha tells businessmen
- Recognition for SL power supplier
- Rupee down 2.54-2.61% YoY
- GDP rate shows positive trend
- Asian stocks come under pressure as dollar struggles
- Way forward for village power producers Team Up With Large Developers WB
- Workplace practices not fit for the New Year
- Brexit deal proves critics wrong - Theresa May
- WINNING GLOBAL CEO AWARD, MY SIGNATURE HONOUR Retired Kahawatte Plantations Plc Deputy Chairman and Watawala Plantations Plc Ceo, Dr. Daniel Vasanthakumar Seevaratnam reminisces
- IPM Sri Lanka crowned overall winner at NBEA 2017
- Desktop FriMi wins global Award
- CMA Sri Lanka graduation ceremony 2017
- LOLC Micro Credit felicitates Grade 5 scholarship high-flyers
- The Singing Christmas Tree comes alive once again at MLH
- Com Bank’s Vocational Training flagship CSR project
- Govt backtracks on anti-coal policy Two 600MW coal plants coming up
- Changing Political Horizons in Sri Lanka?
- Modi’s Gujarat:Installing a Rahul Gandhi Government
- Protect Wilpattu Movement set in motion 5K strong turnout march in peaceful protest to UN office & handover petition
- Concretes & Abstracts Faith, Wayside Shrines & Urban Sprawl
- TGTE using Lawyers to challenge SL’s 6th amendment
- Nat Assets during Prabhakaran’s and Ranil’s heydays
- Mexican drug wars:Women murders on the rise
- Ahead of the LG Polls Identifying 500,000 untagged Lankans!
- Indian movie moguls Avoiding the Weinstein effect
- New Land Draft BiLL Political wrangling hinders ironing out complex land issues
- Maithri should not sit in a Cabinet sans SLFPers
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- Sirisena Presidency - A Parallax View As foretold by Sobhitha Hamuduruwo
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Kemadruma Yoga An evil yoga cancelling all other favourable yogas
- Sun into Sagittarius ‘Kona Month’ has just begun
- Inviting wrath of goddess Lakshmi
- Five Yoga Poses to Calm Your Mind
- Rahu in 7th House and marriage
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- I don’t get asked out
- Homemade apple & Chocolate Bodywash
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES Grinch Cupcakes
- New York Blast Terror charges filed against NY bomber
- Saga of Kohukumbure Rate Rala
- Attygalle murder and John Kotelawala Senior’s suicide