boc City Office reopens at its historic premises in Colombo 1

0
37

The historic “City Office” building of the country’s No.1 Bank was ceremoniously opened after being refurbished to add more glamour and modernity to its historic value. The ceremony took place in line with the bank’s 83rd Anniversary held recently on August 1st 2022 with the participation of the Chairman. Kanchana Ratwatte, General Manager. K. E. D. Sumanasiri, Additional General Manager. Russel Fonseka, members of the Corporate and Executive Management and other distinguished guests including long standing customers of the bank.

The DGM Branch operations and Development banking Priyal Silva, AGM Western Province Central Ruchindra Perera and staff members of the City Branch officiated the ceremony. The building is the premises to the first bank-branch of the Bank of Ceylon (BOC) where, Sri Lanka’s first indigenous modern bank was established by Sir Andrew Caldecott, the Governor of Ceylon on 1st August 1939 located at No 41, Bristol Street, Colombo 01. Hence the building itself has a long historic value that enriches BOC’s 83 year-long heritage.

The City Office Building is solely owned by the Bank of Ceylon and is one of historical buildings located in Colombo Fort area as recognised by the Department of Archaeology. Bank of Ceylon takes pride in maintaining this historical building for more than eight decades preserving its historical values for the nation.