Joes continue winning streak


St. Joseph’s continued their winning streak when they beat a below average Trinity 20/15.

At the short breather Joes led 17/8.

Joes settled early but Trinity stormed back with some good phases of play. Their defense looked good but their ball handling and converting territory advantage into points was below standard.

In the latter half they were dominating and virtually camped in the visitor’s territory, but their many moves lacked finish on many occasions. They were hit with a number of injuries, losing their captain Lithmal Moragoda and two more seniors as well for this encounter.

Joes drew first blood through Naveen Marasinghe when Trinity scrum half Sheveen Premarathne failed to clear the ball, which fell into the safe hands of the burly number 8. Dilhara Subash added the extras. Another Dilhara Subash penalty gave Joes a commanding 10/0 lead. Soon afterwards Trinity full back Kovida Wickremasinghe put over a beautiful long range 40-meter penalty to cut the deficit to 7 points.

The second try for Joes was scored through Rahel Jayawardena and conversion by Dilhara put Trinity on the backfoot, but the home team who never gave up worked their three-quarter line to touch down through their centre Ashen Wijesuriya.

After the turn around although dominating proceedings through territory advantage, they could score only one try through Abdul Kaleel which was goaled by Anuhas Kodituwakku.

For Joes Dilhara Subash put over a solitary penalty in the second half which was the only scoring opportunity for the Darley Road outfit, who face Royal in their next outing.

Referee Prageeth Weranga

Wesley outclass Science

Wesley College produced some top-class rugby to beat Science College 38/10 at Longdon Place last weekend.

At the short breather winners led 24/5.

Maleesha Thiranagama scored first for Wesley. Shem Elisha scored their second try, while playmaker and rock-solid forward Hafiz Thabeeth went over for their third try. Shaveen Jayawardena converted two of the tries.

Science put their name on the scoreboard through a Malshan Perera try, but it was shortlived as Wesley hit back through another converted try by Shaveen Jayawardena who also added the extras.

After the turn around, Kavindu Nimsara scored the Mount Lavinia lads second try, while Wesley scored two more converted tries through Nithila Rodrigo and Hafiz Thabeeth, who had a grand game scoring his second of the game.

Referee Ishanka Abeykoon

Royal retain Michael

Gunaratne Trophy

Defending Schools Rugby League Under-20 Champions Royal College beat arch rivals S. Thomas’ College 20/8 to retain the Michael Gunaratne Trophy for a record 4th year running at the Royal Sports Complex last weekend.

At the short breather Royal led 10/3.

Kaveen Sasanga and Abdullah Yusuf with a try apiece put the Reid Avenue School ahead early in the initial half. Thomians replied through a penalty by Yehan Bulathsinhalage.

After the turn around Royal touched down once more through Kaveen Sasanga. Nabeel Yehya who was on target with the kick at goal, also put over a penalty. The Thomians only try was scored through Akila Perera.

Royal’s winning streak in the series of Michael Gunaratne Trophy counts back to 2017, 2018, 2019. There were no games played in 2020 and 2021 due to Covid.

Referee Raveen Alexander

Vidyartha continue winning form

Vidyartha College continued their winning streak in tandem when they beat Rajans 17/8 at the Nittawela Rugby Stadium last weekend.

At the short breather winners led 7/0.

After a scrappy first 20 minutes, Vidyartha settled down well to take the lead through a Kavishka Wijeratne try and Menuka Thilakaratne conversion. Early in the initial half Thilakaratne missed an easy penalty kick for Vidyartha.

After the turn around Vidyartha scored through a Nipun Weerasinghe try, followed by 2 more penalties by Menuka Thilakaratne.

Rajans try was scored by Co-Captain Thenuka Wickremasinghe with Co-Captain Saumya Wijesiri adding the extras.

Vidyartha have won two out of there three games and are in with a chance to end in the top two in order to move to the next round.

Referee Gihan Yatawara

By Special Correspondent