Fire destroys shop in Jaffna

0
35

A business establishment on Stanley Road in Jaffna, was completely destroyed by a sudden fire that broke out yesterday (22) around 2.30 a.m. A person living in the premises suffered minor injuries and is being treated at the Jaffna Teaching Hospital.

The Jaffna Municipal Council fire brigades rushed to the scene and extinguished the fire before it spread to neighbouring buildings. Meanwhile, before the firemen arrived, valuables, including a refrigerator and commodities worth lakhs of rupees, had been completely destroyed.

The cause of the fire has yet to be determined and the Fire Department said they worked hard to prevent it from spreading to neighbouring buildings.

M. Santhakumar, the owner said more than Rs one million worth of goods, including essential commodities, were completely destroyed by the fire.

By Naalir Jamaldeen