Easter Attack victims to be flown to Italy

0
90

Arrangements were underway to fly a selected number of victims of the 21 April 2019 Easter Sunday Attacks to Italy on 22 April, Ceylon Today learns.

During a visit to St. Sebastian’s Church, Katuwapitiya, Negombo, it was learned that arrangements were being made by the Archdiocese of Colombo including Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith to fly a selected few from among the victims to Italy. But there are concerns regarding the ability of taking victims who were disabled as a result of the explosions that took place three years ago. “These persons need a caretaker. So there are issues which need to be ironed out,” they said. 

Easter Attack victims from St. Sebastian’s Church, St. Antony’s Church, and Zion Church have been identified for the Italy visit. 

Parish Priest of St. Sebastian’s Church Katuwapitiya, Fr. Manjula Fernando when contacted said medical screening had been carried on the victims who were set to fly to Italy. Fielding questions, he said the victims were being taken for a ‘prayer service.’ 

When contacted, the Archbishop’s House said there were many angles to look at when choosing the Easter Sunday victims who could be taken to Italy. There medical condition should be assessed carefully. However, the finer details of the programme would be disclosed by the Cardinal at the right time. 

“The Cardinal would disclose all details during Easter or the following week,” sources said. 

The visit to Italy may even afford the 2019 Easter Attack victims the opportunity to meet Pope Francis as many of them hoped.